• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Drain Plug

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not just reuse the magnetic drain plug thats already in it?

Remember, the -20P and -34P TMs have all the GM part numbers. Makes it a breeze to google part numbers and confirn simple questions.

337185 PLUG

Torque, should be listed in the -20 TM.

Corvette1974

Why not just reuse the magnetic drain plug thats already in it?

Remember, the -20P and -34P TMs have all the GM part numbers. Makes it a breeze to google part numbers and confirn simple questions.

337185 PLUG

Torque, should be listed in the -20 TM.

.....Hmmmm there is already a magnetic plug in it? I just got this truck and this is my first oil change on it (I havent done it yet due to NJ's "excellent" weather :evil: ). I didnt know that, I guess you do learn something every day!

I'll check the TM (which I read like half of the other day, I must've missed the oil change section!)

Either way, I'm going to replace the drain plug washer.

Thanks,
Will

engineman2

What I do is get little neodymium rare earth magnet from Lowe's or Walmart. They usually come several to a box for a few bucks. Then, place one next to the drain hole of whatever component, provided it's steel so the magnet sticks to it. Then, when you get under the truck to change the oil, remove the magnet right before you remove the plug. This way all the little bits of metal you've captured flow out with the oil. Once you're done stick the magnet back. Just be careful these magnets are fragile like porcelain so don't let it smack into anything too fast or it'll shatter.

engineman2

Magnets

I went out in the rain and shot a rather crummy picture of what I'm talking about. Circled in red is the drain plug, blue the magnet. As I said, just before removing the plug, remove the magnet at let the little filings and such go with the oil. I felt like John Madden free-handing those circles. Enjoy.

Attachments

Corvette1974

What I do is get little neodymium rare earth magnet from Lowe's or Walmart. They usually come several to a box for a few bucks. Then, place one next to the drain hole of whatever component, provided it's steel so the magnet sticks to it. Then, when you get under the truck to change the oil, remove the magnet right before you remove the plug. This way all the little bits of metal you've captured flow out with the oil. Once you're done stick the magnet back. Just be careful these magnets are fragile like porcelain so don't let it smack into anything too fast or it'll shatter.
I went out in the rain and shot a rather crummy picture of what I'm talking about. Circled in red is the drain plug, blue the magnet. As I said, just before removing the plug, remove the magnet at let the little filings and such go with the oil. I felt like John Madden free-handing those circles. Enjoy.

Wow thanks a lot! Looks good. I actually have one of those magnets, I'll throw it on there when I do the oil change. I got the new drain plug washer/gasket today.

Will

Corvette1974

Will,
Congrats you found a bit of the green , I see!

Haha thanks. Yeah I still have to put up a "new owner" post, but I want to get the truck on the road and looking sort of good first. The truck is a 1986 M1028 that was a department of forestry truck. It is very rust free and very well maintained.

I'm just waiting to get the alternator rebuild kits as the original alts needed to be rebuilt.

Hopefully soon I'll post up when it's done.

Will