• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil drain pro-tip

wandering neurons

Dreaded oil-change time for Goliath, my M1081. I’ve avoided these because of the mess when the oil drains over everything except for the strategically placed pan. Trying to figure a way to direct the geyser of hot, black oil to the pan, I spotted a couple of old RV sewer hose pieces and had an a-ha moment.
A 45-degree bend connected to a 2-3’ section of hose did the trick. Loosen the drain plug till oil just seeps out. Hold the 45-degree fitting at the drain, dangle the remaining hose into the drain pan. Reach over to remove the plug with your free hand and direct the released oil into the fitting and thence directly into the pan. Bob’s your uncle, especially if you have another bucket handy when done, to hold the sewer hose.
Anyone got better solutions to this messy problem?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Stream of oil seems to spray everywhere but straight down. Hence, need some mechanism to direct the oil flow
It's 3ft across if you can't hit that then you shouldn't be touching it.
You block it up to where it's nearly up to the engine so when it does come out it doesn't have anywhere to really go but into the bucket

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dreaded oil-change time for Goliath, my M1081. I’ve avoided these because of the mess when the oil drains over everything except for the strategically placed pan. Trying to figure a way to direct the geyser of hot, black oil to the pan, I spotted a couple of old RV sewer hose pieces and had an a-ha moment.
A 45-degree bend connected to a 2-3’ section of hose did the trick. Loosen the drain plug till oil just seeps out. Hold the 45-degree fitting at the drain, dangle the remaining hose into the drain pan. Reach over to remove the plug with your free hand and direct the released oil into the fitting and thence directly into the pan. Bob’s your uncle, especially if you have another bucket handy when done, to hold the sewer hose.
Anyone got better solutions to this messy problem?
Bob is my uncle and he was a Master mechanic so I think he'd like your trick!

wandering neurons

It’s a lot different underneath an FMTV than what your video shows. Otherwise I’d do that.

It's 3ft across if you can't hit that then you shouldn't be touching it.
You block it up to where it's nearly up to the engine so when it does come out it doesn't have anywhere to really go but into the bucket

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've changed the engine oil twice on by M1083A1, 3126 engine. I just use two 5 gallon buckets with cardboard under the buckets just in case something happens.

The only oil that gets away from me is when I swap out the buckets change out the oil filter and it just a few drips.

Before I remove the oil filter I place a bucket under the filter, and use a nail set and punch a hole in the bottom of the oil filter to let the oil drain out of the filter. After a short time I just remove the filter and wipe the filter housing down.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Tie rod, exhaust and leaf spring seems to be in the way. I didn’t try bucket though. thx for input.
Get 2, 5 gallon buckets. Unscrew your plug just enough to be turned by hand. Pick up first bucket and get it right under the plug. (Might have to tilt bucket a little up on the leaf spring side.) Remove plug fully. You only have to hold the bucket up for a few seconds until the oil stream starts pointing down. Let bucket get a little over half full and slide next bucket in its place. You should only loose a teaspoon of oil on the ground, if that.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've installed Fumoto oil drain valves on virtually everything I own. Makes changing the oil a LOT easier on the equipment with larger sumps.

I'll be changing the oil on the M1081 this summer and I plan to add one to it as well.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've installed Fumoto oil drain valves on virtually everything I own. Makes changing the oil a LOT easier on the equipment with larger sumps.

I'll be changing the oil on the M1081 this summer and I plan to add one to it as well.
Never seen them before. That is a good Idea.

I do have a question or concern in using this. All of the oil drain plugs that I have, have a magnet attached to it that collects the fine metal particles and/or larger pieces of metal in the oil which could show a possible problem inside the engine. Also, once you pull the plug and check the magnet end, you can wipe off the particles.

I know some tape or glue a rare earth magnet to the pan to collect particles or pieces but you can't see them or get rid of them without removing the pan.

I, myself attach magnets to the oil filter to collect more of those particles and move the magnets from filter to filter. Even with the magnets on the oil filter I still get the fine particles on the plug magnet.

Tom.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I expect you could put a strong magnet on the pan adjacent to the drain location to capture any magnetic fines in the oil.

Remove the magnet as the oil drains and the fines should flow out with the oil.

With the size and strenght of rare earth magenets available, you should have an even better capture effect than the magnet on the end of the plug.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks