• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil drain valve

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not like the process of changing the oil on these trucks. Having the oil shoot out the side of the oil pan and head straight for the tire seems like a bad idea.

Also, I am using 5 gallon buckets and the Cat C-12 holds a lot more than one bucket so then I had to switch buckets while the oil is flying out. Not much fun.

So I thought I would suck the oil out by using a transfer pump. I have done it with other vehicles and it is a lot cleaner but not a lot faster.

So I had a transfer pump and a large hose so I stuck the "suck" end into the fill tube on the engine. Then my plan fell apart. The hose will only go a few inches into the fill tube before it hits something and it cannot make it all the way to the pan.

Dang it.

So my plan B was to just bite the bullet and drain the oil the regular way. BOY! It made a mess.

Awhile ago I found a place selling the oil drain VALVES and I had seen them before I thought it would be great if they made one for the 7 Ton. THEY DO!

I bought one and it works great. Now I can turn the draining oil off and switch the 5 gallon bucket. Then turn it on again to finish draining. They also sell a hose that attaches to the valve so I can drain the oil right into the bucket without it ever getting onto anything including the floor.

So while the engine was empty of oil, I installed the valve. My next oil change will be fast, simple, and clean. I installed my valve on the passenger side drain plug because it seemed to have a little more room. Here are the photos that show everything.

This is the package for the valve and I also show the drain plug it replaces.

20210307_102206.jpg

20210307_074331.jpg

I know I used a lot of gasket sealant but I do not want it coming off.

This is the hose and a 90 degree fitting.

20210307_074607.jpg

Better shot.
20210307_074617.jpg

Valve and hose together on the truck.
20210307_074720.jpg

I could use the 90 right at the valve and then the hose would point straight down but it seems better for me if the hose is by the tire because then it is easier to get the full bucket out from under the truck.

Here are the Fumoto.com part numbers.

20210307_075415.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I did not like the process of changing the oil on these trucks. Having the oil shoot out the side of the oil pan and head straight for the tire seems like a bad idea.

Also, I am using 5 gallon buckets and the Cat C-12 holds a lot more than one bucket so then I had to switch buckets while the oil is flying out. Not much fun.

So I thought I would suck the oil out by using a transfer pump. I have done it with other vehicles and it is a lot cleaner but not a lot faster.

So I had a transfer pump and a large hose so I stuck the "suck" end into the fill tube on the engine. Then my plan fell apart. The hose will only go a few inches into the fill tube before it hits something and it cannot make it all the way to the pan.

Dang it.

So my plan B was to just bite the bullet and drain the oil the regular way. BOY! It made a mess.

Awhile ago I found a place selling the oil drain VALVES and I had seen them before I thought it would be great if they made one for the 7 Ton. THEY DO!

I bought one and it works great. Now I can turn the draining oil off and switch the 5 gallon bucket. Then turn it on again to finish draining. They also sell a hose that attaches to the valve so I can drain the oil right into the bucket without it ever getting onto anything including the floor.

So while the engine was empty of oil, I installed the valve. My next oil change will be fast, simple, and clean. I installed my valve on the passenger side drain plug because it seemed to have a little more room. Here are the photos that show everything.

This is the package for the valve and I also show the drain plug it replaces.

View attachment 827685

View attachment 827686

I know I used a lot of gasket sealant but I do not want it coming off.

This is the hose and a 90 degree fitting.

View attachment 827687

Better shot.
View attachment 827688

Valve and hose together on the truck.
View attachment 827689

I could use the 90 right at the valve and then the hose would point straight down but it seems better for me if the hose is by the tire because then it is easier to get the full bucket out from under the truck.

Here are the Fumoto.com part numbers.

View attachment 827692
One thought...

Everyone has an opinion, but I think you need some sort of safety wire to hold that valve in the OFF position. Truck & Motor vibrations and a valve that dumps the "life giving fluid" out of your truck really fast could cause a really bad day!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess it does make things easer but how will it fair when off road. Seen someone put one on a Deuce and with the bottom two drains on the Deuce and going off road a good size stick or a rock could knock it off. Looks like at least on your truck the drain plugs are on the side of the pan and a little more out of the way.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use them on all my trucks and they work great. I like that you can add a hose and go right into a 5gal. bucket. There is a little plastic clip you can get form them that will keep it from being opened.

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess it does make things easier but how will it fair when off road. Seen someone put one on a Deuce and with the bottom two drains on the Deuce and going off road a good size stick or a rock could knock it off. Looks like at least on your truck the drain plugs are on the side of the pan and a little more out of the way.
The 7 Tons are very different from the 5 and 2.5 tons. There is no comparison. For example, the 7 tons have the engine mounted high and several frame members are below it. The bottom of the engine is very well protected and it is obvious. In fact, it is all the protection that makes changing the oil difficult.

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice but it’s gonna leave a gallon of old oil in the pan.
Other studies have shown that it is impossible to get all the oil out of the engine anyway. Even if you drain all the oil you can, there is still a lot in passages, lines, the pump, oil cooler, etc. Plus, you don't want to get all the oil out for obvious reasons.

rockertype

I have used the Fumoto valves for many years on all my trucks and have never had a problem. They work great and won't open accidentally like many people think. The lever locks into a detent. I will be ordering one for the MTVR right now!

Thanks for the part number.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks