• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil fill / vent cap

cucvrus

I ordered a new Stant and I ordered it for a 1982 Oldsmobile with a 350 Diesel that was the one that has the vent on like the CUCV. You can get any of them caps back in the good 350 diesel days and they will fit. As far as apart number I would have to look it up. But I know it is a Stant cap. I hope that helps.

cucvrus

That's the one. They are available from several vendors. Parts Geek being one amongst others. Do you think that Stant # could be added to the CUCV notes for permanent record?
Stant #10076

Last edited:

donalloy1

Stant says replace every 30k miles. Any thoughts? I cleaned mine up in solvent tank, blew out with air, let dry and reinstalled. Seems to be fine.

Keith_J

Stant says replace every 30k miles. Any thoughts? I cleaned mine up in solvent tank, blew out with air, let dry and reinstalled. Seems to be fine.
All you need to do. Service techs don't have time to do a cleaning so they pitch it and replace with new.

jpg

I learned a lot from the thread linked below. The CDR valve and the oil cap work together to maintain a low level of vacuum in the crankcase, to keep oil from leaking out the seals. The oil cap gasket has to seal well in order for this to work. You can achieve this by maintaining or replacing your cap. I don't think it matters as long as it seals well enough to maintain the vacuum.

I went through a gallon of oil on my 650-mile recovery drive. We're almost finished with the in-depth post-recovery maintenance work, replacing all rubber, flushing all fluids, replacing all filters, fixing all rust, undercoating and rust-proofing, fix/adjust a few things, safety inspection, etc. I'll soon have a chance to find out if replacing the cap, the CDR, and the associated rubber solves my oil leak. It doesn't leak when sitting in the driveway, only when driving.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...A-questions-and-other-tune-up-questions/page8 #76

Last edited: