• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Filter Center Bolt Gasket

Danheit

Hey guys, I know this may be common knowledge, and folks are going to say to use the search function: I did. I couldn't get any solid information. I did an oil change over the weekend with Napa filters on my recently acquired deuce, and replaced the filters, and base housing gaskets. For starters, I used BOTH gaskets that came with the NAPA filter. The paper gasket that tucks into the groove, as well as the rubber o-ring style gasket on top of it. Doesn't appear to leak, so I'm gonna keep it as is unless someone says otherwise. After tightening everything back down, I let her run a bit to check for leaks, and the upper gasket on the housing center bolt is leaking like a sieve on the front housing. I have searched and searched, but cannot find where to located these two little gaskets. Big Mikes doesn't have them, surplus and supply doesn't have them, etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd really like to not dump another quart of oil in the driveway.

Danheit

Get a red fiber gasket of the correct size from a good auto parts store.
They don’t really “do” good auto parts store around me. Everyone is a counter jockey, need to know what my engine size is to purchase air fresheners. Won’t let me go dig through their parts bins (understandably). Been down that road before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
They don’t really “do” good auto parts store around me. Everyone is a counter jockey, need to know what my engine size is to purchase air fresheners. Won’t let me go dig through their parts bins (understandably). Been down that road before.

Had to laugh.

It isn't funny - but it is so true.

Those grouchy old men behind the paper parts books when I was a youngster seemed so dang hard to get along with. Gotta say I miss them now. Now days we ended up with pimple faced kids who don't really even know how to "point and click". They wouldn't know a Chevrolet from a Ford if it ran over them and smashed their Prius!

NAPA-Products.jpg

I do remember "the code" though as I got a little smarter and learned more about "the old grouchy" guys.
Simple things: Chevrolet Front? The answer was a simple yes.
There wasn't enough words for "the lost" to even get involved in the conversation. :cool:

Last edited:

ToddJK

I had that issue on my old deuce and the same results from the so called experts at the parts stores. I've found some o-ring gaskets at a local hardware store but in the mean time, I put a nice blob of black Permatex on the top and let it cure for a couple hours before reassembling. It did stop the leak but I trusted the rubber o-ring more so, thus when I got it, I installed it. In a pinch, Permatex will work until you do find the part you need as long as it's sealing a part that doesn't have anything to do with diesel or gas as this eats away at it really quickly.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Luckily for me I have two NAPA stores reasonably close and one time I went in and an old-timer said you know White put those engines in their tractors.

So anything unusual I go to that store. It's in the largest pork producing county in Ohio so I expect it.

;-)

CMPPhil

I have two suggestion for more knowledgeable parts counter people. Look for a locally owned NAPA not a chain or branch store if you can get to know the owner they often know more about what they stock. I have dealt with the same guy for 20 + years when he retires or sell it will be a different game. My second suggestion for gasket and other generic parts is a tractor or heavy equipment shops.

One last suggestion do as my father did, he would measure up a part draw a picture of the part and send my mother to the dealer. The guys at the Mercedes dealership would always laugh when mom came in then gather around to look at the drawing and then go off to find the part.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks