• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Filter Magnet

Grega

Ive been reserching some information about installing a magnet around the oil filter housing or installing a magnetic oil plug in the pan to help get the really small ferrous metels out. I was wondering if anybody out there has them em and if they really do any good. The magnetic oil plugs are fairly cheap but the ones that go around the oil filter can get pricey. Any knowlege or expericences would be helpfull.
THANKS Greg

OL AG '89

The oil filter takes care of 10 micron pieces????
I can't see the need for anything smaller being picked up.
If you have BIG chunks floating around, that's a completely different issue that I'm not sure a magnet applied anywhere would help.....:sad:

dabtl

I looked at the oil filter magnet set ups. Expensive! I did the easy thing. I went to Ace Hardware got a couple of big magnets and stuck them on the side of the filters. I have the jatonka spin on filters and I have not cut one open to see the results. But, if magnets help, these will do the job.

DokWatson

Snake oil. Someone must have figured it works in differentials, lets put a magnet on the oil pan or filter. Differentials don't have filters, engines do.

JUNKYARDJOHN

I've used magnetic drain plugs on quite a few engines, & they do indeed work. But then again I always put a remote oil filter inline on my transmission lines & like to epoxy a magnet in the bottom of my transmission pans. I tend to buy those $12 2 quart wix filters instead of the $2.99 walmart ones too. Cut a used filter open & you'll see what I meen. I also put a trans. temp gage in my drivers. I kinda like to know when my trans. is getting hot & keep my fluids as clean as possible. It keeps all those little parts sliding off of each other.:-D Never tried the magnets on the filter thing though. John

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
See if someone has an old computer hard disk that has crashed. Open it up and take the little rare earth magnets out. Clean off a spot on the bottom of the pan and gently put the edge of the magnet to it, then get your fingers out of the way and let it adhere. Then you can add checking the magnet after each drive to your PMCS routine. Remove any magnetic road debris that is sticking to the pan. Any magnetic particles inside the pan will stay on the bottom, as close to the magnet as they can get. Because they are flat, they will not work as well on the GI oil filter cans.