• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil filter seal blowing out (MEP-016B)

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an MEP-016B that was sitting in the elements for what looks like 10 years with no oil filter on it, I got it home blew all the lines out, added a filter added oil, changed the starter and primed the fuel lines and it fired up and blew out the oil filter seal, so I took the filter off reseated the seal and put it back on (I planned on just flushing the system) and restarted it and it fired right up seemingly ran fine oil seemed to be going through the filter as the filter was nice and hot and it generated power, I let it run for 20 mins and shut it down as I had to go to work. The next day i planned to fire it up let it run for 10 more mins to get the oil warmed up and then change the oil but as soon as I started it it blew the filter seal out again, so I figured it was damaged from the previous time it did it and went ahead and changed the oil and filter anyways and it did the same thing with the new oil and filter. I then tightened the oil filter up really tight and tried to start it and it almost seems like it has low compression but if you crank it for about 15 seconds it will start and run for about 5 seconds and die again. Unsure what I need to do from here or what to troubleshoot next, was hoping someone more knowledgeable than I could point me in the correct direction.

P.S. When I got it i did take all the covers off and degreased and pressure washed everything and I have verified that I am using the proper filter for it (fleetgaurd LF3525)

Video of it running yesterday when it seemed to run fine https://www.youtube.com/shorts/9iu8G98OWq4

Poccur

If you have pressure in the filter, recommend you look toward the oil pressure regulating valve...when that goes it over pressurizes the filter and blows the seals....

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll 2nd that.

I bought a MEP-802a with a stuck pressure relief. The oil pressure was spiking to 220 psi before the lifters locked out and the engine died. Surprised the oil filter survived.

Guyfang

Staff member
Is your oil thin? Or smell like fuel? If so, the diaphragm in the fuel pump could be bad, letting fuel into the crank case, and it will over fill the oil pan, and out it comes from the exhaust. This is a very common problem with the MEP-016B.

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your oil thin? Or smell like fuel? If so, the diaphragm in the fuel pump could be bad, letting fuel into the crank case, and it will over fill the oil pan, and out it comes from the exhaust. This is a very common problem with the MEP-016B.
I got it fixed, I removed filter and let it all blow out refilled it with diesel and let that circulate drained that and new filter and oil and runs fine now.

Guyfang

Staff member
Run it a while, check the oil level, that its not going up. That the oil doesn't smell like fuel. If its all good, drain two quarts and put two qt's of ATM in the engine and run it a half hour. Drain and change filter. That will take any crud out of the engine.

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Run it a while, check the oil level, that its not going up. That the oil doesn't smell like fuel. If its all good, drain two quarts and put two qt's of ATM in the engine and run it a half hour. Drain and change filter. That will take any crud out of the engine.
I'd say sitting outside for a decade with no oil filter didn't help it any...first oil I put in looked like mud after 10 mins run time