• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil for fuel

I have 7 - 55 gallon drums of Calvus oil 68 given to me. It is Refrigerator(mileral) oil. It has a strong odor of ammonia.
Doing some research on the Shell web page, it has the same auto ignition as diesel fuel. I can not find any information about the ammonia in it. According to the Shell site, it isn't corrosive to refrigeration pumps.
If it won't work as fuel I will use it in the Babbington burner in our shop for heat. I couldn't pass up the oil for either purpose.
Anyone have any thoughts on if it is useable in the multi fuel engines?

stumps

Ammonia gas is not the same thing as the ammonia that you buy at the grocery store. The ammonia gas used in refrigeration systems has no water in it. It is called anhydrous ammonia. It is the water that makes it corrosive. All it takes is a little while in the open air, and it will pick up plenty of water.

You can easily remove all of the ammonia gas, ammonia, and water by heating up the oil to above the boiling point of water, and letting it stew.

Be warned, heating oil is not to be done over a fire!

You can buy band heaters that are designed to strap around barrels for heating thick liquids. Also, don't forget to open the barrel, you want the water and ammonia to leave, so you have to give it someplace to go.

-Chuck

stumps

No, it is still used in big refrigerant plants. Ice skating rinks, meat packing plants, ... It is also used in propane powered refrigerators.

-Chuck

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ammonia gas will kill you fast, be careful what you do until you understand what you have and what to do with it.

Believe it or not, a simple bottle of Clorox, will kill you in the right situation(not drinking it either)

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Anhydrous ammonia is corrosive as ****......metal exposed to it will corrode quick.
I would pass on using it as fuel for the deuce.....heat the shop with it.[/quote]

I would suspect it would have about the same effect as cheap paint thinner on a diesel engine.
Of course Wreckerman is the subject matter expert in that area!!!
:deadhorse::shock::twisted:fat lady sings.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it won't work as fuel I will use it in the Babbington burner in our shop for heat.
On a side note, this quote sparked my interest because I didn't know what a "Babington burner" was. I googled it and it looks interesting. I may have to fab me one up when winter rolls back around.

Does yours work pretty well?

Right now I've all I've got is an oil line running into the top of my wood stove. It puts out plenty of heat but doesn't burn very clean.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks