• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil / Gas mix to fuel deuce

Jakob

I didn't have any noticeable smoke with my 40% mixture and diesel. Does the gasoline make it smoke more or is it from the amount of oil in the mixture?

Also, I know some of the oil had "engine flush" additives and possibly some stop leak in it. My coolant temps were running as high as 220 degrees. However, when I went back to straight diesel, it dropped down to about 200. Is my truck running hot, or has anyone else experienced this?

55Cameo

Mine only runs at 170 degrees according to the gauge. Don't really know if it is right or not. Also, my truck smoked some with straight #2 before I put the WMO in it. Not really sure why it does it, I don't think that it was oil smoke with #2 straight because the oil level does not go down and it does not smell like there is any fuel in the oil. Maybe I have a leaking injector?

Capt.Marion

If you thin in out enough, would a deuce swallow Waste Gear oil all right? I'm talking nothing thicker, maybe not even that thick, as 80W-90. My concern would be more pollutants and particulate crap in it... its from a couple of old Ford tractors, so its gear/hydraulic oil...

cbvet

Does having a turbo significantly reduce the smoke when burning a WMO/gas mix?
In the posts I see hardly anyone mentions turbo or not.
Would be nice to know.
Eric
CBVET

Capt.Marion

I believe that even with a turbo, if you have to much oil in your mix it will smoke. I think most folks here have turbos. It looks like Jakob's the only guy in this thread running a N/A multi.

I run an approximate 60/40 WMO-Diesel mix and don't notice more smoke than with pure Diesel. I have the impression that the deuce runs better on the mix than with pure Diesel.
What could be of interest to others on hunt for free fuel is where I obtain it from: I get all the stuff for nothing from an electric-company that services diesel-generators and transformers. They are glad to get rid of the stuff, I guess they have to pay a lot for disposing it otherwise. The WMO I get is like new, from generators which run about an hour a year and get serviced yearly. Prime stuff :) I also have about 30 gallons of new transformer-oil sitting around here, which I haven't tried yet. Smells a bit strange, I wonder how it smells out of the exhaust after burning it in the old Continental.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Capt.Marion said:
I believe that even with a turbo, if you have to much oil in your mix it will smoke. I think most folks here have turbos. It looks like Jakob's the only guy in this thread running a N/A multi.
I have not contributed to the thread, but have been following it. I have run all knids of stuff through my N/A deuce and it all feels the same. The only time I get to the 200 degree mark is when I'm pulling a heavy load.

I run what ever comes out of the cars and trucks in my shop. Trany fluid, gear oil old gas and used motor oil. My tanks are almost always full of 100% used oils. In the six months i have driven it i only payed for fuel once.

If i drain it in my shop it's poured through a 5 micron sock filter and dump it right into one of the truck tanks.

If its given to me it goes through the sock filter and then pumped through a water blocker.

The truck is my only transportation at the moment and is driven 6 days a week.

Smokes pretty good cold but not bad when warmed up.

Mind you that we seldom get temps lower than 30 so cold start is not an issue for me.

Also i would strongly recommended you do whatever your state requires for alternative fuel taxes.

I found in Oregon it was quick and easy to get the permit. Did have to give them a 100 dollar deposit.

joshs1ofakindxj

What are you using to separate water? I have about 300 gal of unfilitered WMO sitting in my garage right now. I was planning on separating using gravity but I know I won't get it all. I got my sock filters today! Can't wait to get running on this.

DMiz

I run nothing but Jet A with a little bit of oil runs great not alot of smoke either and Roger-wilco 66 the funny smellin stuf you have the transformer oil that I belive is mineral oil A buddy of mine runs that in his duece with no problems at all i beleive he ran it aound 25 -75 oil to fuel "#2"

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just don't mix WMO and WVO/VO. I would also add some kind of oil/ lube oil to any gas or fuel that does not have any lube propertys. Thought is was something like five gal. gas one qt. oil as your looking at killing the IP if not.

Last edited:

706james815

Just added 3 gallons of oil to about 25 to 30 gallons of diesel now within a mile it started acting out like engine is missing and topping the rpm out at around 20 instead of 26 as it usually does is there maybe a problem first time doing this one had truck 2 weeks and this wasn't a problem before I did it 1970 Kaiser 2.5

Most likely have a filter plugging up. I would think it's just a fluke as the oil would not have had time to get to the filters. The filters go from flowing to plugged real quick.

Good luck
John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks