• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil idiot light pressure

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys,

Does anyone know at what pressure the idiot light goes on?

I'm preparing to add gauges to my friends M1008 including an oil pressure gauge. After a bit of Googling, I found that most use a T to keep the idiot light switch and add a sender, but VDO offers senders that also send a warning signal at around 5.8, 7.2, 11.6 or 20 PSI. I'd like to use one of those. I'm not sure which one to get. I'm thinking, the earlier it goes on the better, but I don't want false positives. Am I right in thinking that 20 PSI is too close to pressure after the engine is warmed up and 11.6 would be the best choice?

linemech31

I dont know exactly as i haven't read the t.m. My pressure switch light goes out at 15psi. Confirmed with a mechanical gauge. If i was cruising down the road and that light came on it would probably be too late.

linemech31

National stock number is NSN-5930-00-073-0930 for the switch. That's all i have on it. Im sure you could dig deeper. These things need an actual oil pressure indicator not just a light. Imo

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found the part number in the TMs; 3815936. RockAuto comes up ACDELCO G1807 as a replacement. Says "Pressure limit closed 6 PSI" and "Pressure limit open 2 PSI". It lights up the idiot light at 6 and shuts it off when it drops below 2?

My K1500 shows pressure with a warmed up engine at idle at about 20 PSI. I think the one with the 11.6 PSI warning (+/- 2.17) is the best choice. In case anyone else is interested the VDO part number is 360-081-039-002C.

These things need an actual oil pressure indicator not just a light. Imo
I agree. I mostly use it to judge if the engine has warmed up though. I tow heavy, really heavy for these engines. I wait for my coolant to reach operating temp, the oil pressure to stabilize at 20 PSI and the warning light on my VDO transmission temp gauge to go off (switches off when it reaches or drops too 122 F) before I start towing.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Tech data for that switch.
THREAD LENGTH0 1/8 INCHES NOMINAL SINGLE PRESSURE CONNECTION
OVERALL LENGTH2 13/20 INCHES NOMINAL
OVERALL WIDTH1 3/50 INCHES NOMINAL
PRESSURE SWITCH TYPEGAGE
MOUNTING METHODINLET CONNECTION
THREAD QUANTITY PER INCH27 SINGLE PRESSURE CONNECTION
CONTACT ACTION STIMULUSINCREASE
NOMINAL THREAD SIZE0 1/8 INCHES SINGLE PRESSURE CONNECTION
NONPILE-UP CONTACT ARRANGEMENT1 POLE, SINGLE THROW, NORMALLY CLOSED, MOMENTARY ACTION
TERMINAL TYPESNAP-ON, MALE
CONTACT ADJUSTABILITYACTUATION POINT ADJUSTABLE, PRESET
CONTACT ADJUSTMENT RANGE+2.00/+6.00 ACTUATION POINT POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH
CONTACT VOLTAGE RATING IN VOLTS12 DC AT SEA LEVEL SINGLE VOLTAGE
PRESSURE CONNECTOR TYPEPLAIN, THREADED EXTERNAL SINGLE CONNECTION
THREAD SERIES DESIGNATORUNF SINGLE PRESSURE CONNECTION

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks