• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil in air cleaner NHC250

brazengoat06

took air cleaner lid off today and found about 1/8th quart of what smelled like gear oil. the intake pipe into engine is dry. only place i figure it could be coming from is the air brake exhaust port or whatever the other line is. still doesnt make since so any help is great thanks!

rangereter

What might have happened is that the fuel tank had been overfilled at some point and the fuel got "vacuumed" into the transfer case and subsequently (after overfilling the t-case will diesel) was "vacuumed" into the air filter housing via the vent circuit. Remove the t-case fill level check plug and see if there is a couple of extra gallons of lube in it.
Regards, Bob

brazengoat06

Thanks for the help. I think I will check all my fluids and put some miles on the truck. Need a good reason to drive it anyways :) I will then recheck air cleaner and see if more fluid has accumulated. Will repost results thanks again!

Scarecrow1

This is not uncommon to find. I posted a similar thread last year when I pulled mine for the first time. What I found was that it was a practice for some mechanics to give the filters an oil bath to catch the finer dust that made its way into the systems during Desert Storm. It was a battle field solution and some still do it this day. The oil of course will collect in the bottom of the cannister and will still trap dirt and debris that fall to the bottom. To my knowledge and others that replied stated their was no way for oil to enter the air cleaner short of a blown engine. If you find different please post your findings as I am sure this subject is far from over with trucks coming back from the sand box............

brazengoat06

This is not uncommon to find. I posted a similar thread last year when I pulled mine for the first time. What I found was that it was a practice for some mechanics to give the filters an oil bath to catch the finer dust that made its way into the systems during Desert Storm. It was a battle field solution and some still do it this day. The oil of course will collect in the bottom of the cannister and will still trap dirt and debris that fall to the bottom. To my knowledge and others that replied stated their was no way for oil to enter the air cleaner short of a blown engine. If you find different please post your findings as I am sure this subject is far from over with trucks coming back from the sand box............
This brings me to my next question. Is this a strong indication of the trucks history of where its traveled to or was this also a widely used practice even just in the national guard?

Scarecrow1

In my opinion it was an Idea that was swapped around from Guard units and regular military and it caught on. Almost all of our National Guard Units have seen action in the middle east so it's not unlikely it was adapted by some as S.O.P.
Again this is just a theory that I have based on the info gathered................

uriss

Oil baths are pretty common. My 1958 GMC coach (former Greyhound) has three steel wool air cleaners that are then immersed into separate pans full of motor oil.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I think I have engine oil dripping into my filter housing.

Last month I serviced the truck fully, drove it about 60 miles or so in a parade. Then I spent the month sanding and repainting it. (M925A2) . I cranked it today and drove it out of the garage and let it idle for about 20 min. I shut it off to finally change the air filter. When I did there was oil in the bottom of the housing. There wasn't ever oil there before. It looks like clean engine oil. I whipped up the oil , cranked the truck with the air filter can off (filter in place) and it started dripping oil again. Im pretty worried. No bad noises and all gauges and levels are reading correct.

Paul if your reading this , I hope you can look into it at work tomorrow more so we can use it Saturday for the Veterans Home.

And I can start a new thread if you guys want, I know this thread was for the 250 Cummins

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks