• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil in the air tank...bet that's not good.

50shooter

Happy Easter

Spent some times with the iron today. ONe of my bleeders on the air resevior is leaking what appears to be oil. Don't know jack about the air system and hope some of you do and wouldn't mind sharing. What's the issue and what does it take to repair?

Thanks
Jason

Attachments

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Same issue here, rings in the compressor are letting oil into the top end and pumping it into the air system. Mine was really bad till I swapped out the compressor, still some oil present, but nearly as much.

Ed

Westech

CPL
blow by from the air compressor. A little is ok, I ran my deuce for years and never had a problem I would just leave the valve open so the oil would drain out. Really its not all that bad it lubes the air pack.. so as long as its not poring out your good.

50shooter

Just bought the truck from the GL auction at Camp Dodge. I don 't know if the IANG policy is to drain them each time or not. The other tank doesn't have any issue.

I don't really have a feel for how badly it's leaking but I guess worse case scenario, I'll do a compressor swap once I loose confidence.

Thanks guys
Jason

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you drain the tanks a drop or two of oil or a little milky water is no big deal. If you drain the tanks and get enough oil to make a decent puddle on the ground then I'd say a compressor swap is in order.

Condec

From the looks of the picture you posted it looks like that compressor has been changed not all that long ago, It could very well be residue left from the other compressor and it is still cleaning out the system. Park the truck so that the pet-cock is facing downhill and open it up and leave it too drip drain for a day or two There is two tanks on the system and one of them is called the wet tank for that reason because that tank will catch any condensation build up from the compressor. Also check the air filter on the compressor because if it is plugged up it will draw oil from the base and will contaminate the system. You can also undue the main compressor air line and dump in some Menthol Hydrate (alcohol) and it will help clean out your air system.While you have the main airline (copper) undone just look in and see if there is fresh oil traces in it or on the fitting. While it seems harmless the oil will destroy any rubber diaphrams or any other rubber after a while.

50shooter

Thanks guys for the info. I too thought the compressor looked newer as it had less "grime" then other engine components. I'll have to consult the manual as I've never removed an air filter from the comp.

heavymetal

compressor air intake

An old army motor sergeant told me once that oil from the air tank me be caused by a clogged intake filter for the compressor. Your compressor looks clean but the intake on the side of it may be excessively dirty. The man told me that when the intake filter is dirty the compressor will actually suck oil past the rings and push it through the lines and eventually into the tank. He told me to simply unbolt the intake, clean the filter media (wadding that looks like horse hair) and put it back together. I've not needed to do that yet but I hope that maybe this info helps with your dilema.

tjcouch

On the topic of draining tanks . . . .One of my tanks had a buggered drain valve, which I finally replaced today.

The one tank that had a good valve would usually spit out water and a wee bit of oil . . . but when I opened up the tank with the bad valve - nothing came out . . . it was completely dry.

So my question is, "Do these things have a typically wet side?"

Condec

50 Shooter, What you should do is take the drain cock right out of the air tank and let her drip for a day or two. I personally dont like this style drain valve because they seem prone to failure when you yank on the lanyard. A lot of people will just give her a little jerk and that is good enough--not so because it does not give any oil laying on the bottom of the tank enough time to exit the tank. I installed the other style pet-cock and an elbow on any air tanks because when you drain them you actually see whats coming out. I know its a pain to do it this way but while you are under there you never know what you might find in the way of loose bolts and such.The reason for the WET tank is because of the condensation forming . As a compressor makes air it warms up and the warm air being pumped into a cold air tank creates it. If you climb under there on a cold day and drain the tank it will actually freeze around the drain valve. The same thing happens to the fuel tank on a diesel engine--The hot fuel from the return line from the engine to the fuel tank will also create condensation. If I can I will always fuel up before I park the truck ,that way the tank is les prone to getting water in it from condensation. Also if you dont have one already install a water filter on your engine. Not a lot of people realise that you MUST add DCA to your diesel engine if you dont want to be changing piston liners. Without the right DCA level your engine becomes prone to "electrolissis" That is where you end up with pinholes all through your piston liners and the water in the base of your motor. Ask an old diesel mechanic and he will tell you the same thing. Cummins engines were the worst for this. That is one of the reasons that so many M123s with the Cummins engines had so much trouble. If one liner is leaking --they all are gone Condec

Condec

Baxter We should maybe start a new thread about DCA in your cooling system that way we dont overwhelm 50 Shooter with stuff. If you dont want to do that just PM me and I will lay it on you OK Condec

IMA944T

So since I'm new to these truck, what should I do. I opened and drained both tanks. No oil came out of either but couple oz of water did. What should be done to the air system that would be reg maintance or peridocal maintance. Air pumps up good and seems to bleed off ok after sitting, should I or is there anything can can be put into tanks to dry them out. Or just keep drainning them. Would there be some maintance to the pump, lines, tanks, any of he sytem that should be done.

dm22630

So since I'm new to these truck, what should I do. I opened and drained both tanks. No oil came out of either but couple oz of water did. What should be done to the air system that would be reg maintance or peridocal maintance. Air pumps up good and seems to bleed off ok after sitting, should I or is there anything can can be put into tanks to dry them out. Or just keep drainning them. Would there be some maintance to the pump, lines, tanks, any of he sytem that should be done.

Just open both valves (one at a time) whenever you are done driving for the day & shut them off whenever the moisture stops coming out.

Other than that.......just fix random air leaks that you WILL encounter.

2cents

Condec

Maccus is right on the money--Those are the way to go only its better if you put a 45 degree elbow on the tank and then plumb in the drain valve, The reason for the elbow is so that you dont blow the water or "stuff" out of your air tank onto the rear end--That can make an awful mess on the undercarriage,