• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil issues: level and gauge

colsoncj

Ok, so I have two seperate unrelated issues (unless you count the fact they both have to do with oil.).

1. I just changed the oil on the Duece and added 22 qts. Let it run to fill the filters and get pressure, then shut it off... Waited 5 minutes and checked the oil. Shows about a gallon low (best I can tell). Here's my guesses:
a. 1 gallon of oil magically disappeared.
b. burned 1 gallon of oil in 1.5 minutes without smoking.
c. wrong dipstick.
d. I, nor my 2 assitants can accurately count to 22.

2. At idle I show about 100 psi of oil pressure. I've checked the guage/wiring and it works like it should. I have the 120 psi gauge. I have not put a secondary gauge on it yet to verify, which is probably what i need to do. Any good methods to getting that sender off?

Anyone have any suggestions for #1? For #2 I need a good method to get that gauge off without ripping the side of the truck off to get to it easily. Also, if the secondary oil pressure gauge actually reads around 100 psi, I'm guessing the pressure regulator needs some tinkering, any advise there would also be appreciated!

Heavysteven

1. To check the oil let the truck run for a little then shut it off wait one minute and check. If you over fill then start the truck and you can use the oil sample valve to drain the excess.

2. The oil pressure sending unit on an LDT 465 is on the back passenger side just above the starter. Use a wrench to remove. The guage is held in the dash panel with a clamp two bolts to loosen.

mikew

22 qts is correct.

My dipstick reads correctly after an oil change, full right after shutdown and at the "C" in "Check" when left overnight.

From the threaded collar (towards the top of the stick) to the "Full" line is 21". The overall length is 27", from threaded collar to tip.

I think the wrong dipstick might be a common issue.

One of the fellows here on Steel Soldiers had the opposite issue; he had a truck delivered, it showed full on the stick, started it and no oil pressure. After pulling the oil pan to search for problems he discovered that the dipstick was way too long so the oil level was low enough that the pump couldn't pick it up.

colsoncj

excellent... so for a 69 M35A2 with a white mutlifueler, from threaded end to full is 21" and overall length is 27".... I'll double check.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1" is about 1 gallon, on the dipstick.

It needs to be an inch above the full line after it sets overnight. If you check it right after it ran, it will be close to the full mark.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you checked your coolant lately?

colsoncj

About 4.5 gallons +/- 2qts when i drained it. it was about at the same level it is now on the stick.

I've checked the coolant and there is no oil in it.

colsoncj

Bob, thanks, I'll check that.

Also an update:
I pulled the sender out, and the gauge and decided to install a complete aftermarket mechanical setup. Got in plumbed and installed. Found that at cold idle I have 60psi, which I consider fine. Will keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Regarding the oil level. When I went to install the gauge setup, pulled the dipstick and it showed overfull like it should. Wiped it, stuck it back in, pulled it right back out and showed a gallon low. I give up. I saw it was full once, I know its full from changing the oil so the heck with it. Maybe one day I'll figure it out.

Flyingvan911

The oil level can take a little getting use to but it is important to check your oil level when starting it up for the day to be sure you haven't got something else pouring into the crankcase. Just be patient.

colsoncj

Patience is something I work on.

Flyingvan, ever make it about 2 hours south of KC? I'm not too far from ya, in the grand scheme of things.