• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil leak, am I missing a plug?

Steelreaper80

I have an oil leak and it is coming from the open hole at the rear of the oil pan. It is a threaded hole. Am I missing a plug? Is this a vent hole? And last but not least could I have a rear main seal leak? Thanks guys!

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Fording plug plugged when going thru water otherwise should be open

If there is oil from there and you have ATF in your transmission then I'm sure it is If you have motor oil in the trans it could be a front pump or torque converter seal

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, from the picture, it looks like there is oil farther forward on the engine, looks like the fuel pump side. The bottom of the flywheel housing is the lowest point...except for the bottom of the pan....and the oil, if leaking from elsewhere, will flow back there and look like a leak. Get a good flashlight and start looking for wet, clean areas forward and above the rear of the engine. That will be your leak. Front covers, like to leak, gear housings will crack and leak if no lower compressor support is installed, they do like to break bolts off in the block.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, from the picture, it looks like there is oil farther forward on the engine, looks like the fuel pump side. The bottom of the flywheel housing is the lowest point...except for the bottom of the pan....and the oil, if leaking from elsewhere, will flow back there and look like a leak. Get a good flashlight and start looking for wet, clean areas forward and above the rear of the engine. That will be your leak. Front covers, like to leak, gear housings will crack and leak if no lower compressor support is installed, they do like to break bolts off in the block.
Right you are WillWagner !

It really is amazing how a leak at the front of the motor will show itself at the back.
The fan and then rolling down the road at 50 has a way of pushing oil away from the leak. :)

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't tell you how many times people "troubleshot" an oil leak and called it a rear main. That's why I was in the position I was in. I was a lead and liked to teach others.

It is hard to TS something over the web or thru pics. But, sometimes I am correct. I do kinda miss that. but I do like the freedom of doing what, when I want.

Steelreaper80

I will check those as well thank you. There is a leak on the fuel pump side I have just not been able to find. I guess a good degreasing and pressure wash is needed.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, don't wash it, look for the clean spot. If it is a sealing surface leaking and not spraying, it will cause a clean leak path, road dirt, debris will stick to the oil on the non leaking/residue area and the oil leak will cause a clean, no debris stuck to it, area. That will be the leak point. A clean engine is harder to troubleshoot a leak because there are no markers.

If there is a pressurized leak, spraying, those can be hard to find. Usually takes two people, one to operate the engine, the other to keep their eyes on things to find a start point. Baby powder helps in this situation.

Steelreaper80

No, don't wash it, look for the clean spot. If it is a sealing surface leaking and not spraying, it will cause a clean leak path, road dirt, debris will stick to the oil on the non leaking/residue area and the oil leak will cause a clean, no debris stuck to it, area. That will be the leak point. A clean engine is harder to troubleshoot a leak because there are no markers.

If there is a pressurized leak, spraying, those can be hard to find. Usually takes two people, one to operate the engine, the other to keep their eyes on things to find a start point. Baby powder helps in this situation.
The entire engine and frame is coated in oil. I just keep adding......the leak is slow enough that I just top her off when needed. I do a pre trip inspection before I leave and again on the way back just to make sure all fluids, lights, chains etc are good to go. I am adding about 1-2 quarts every 300-500 miles so not horrid. Just more annoying than anything.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Then it isn't a spray leak. Powder works well. Coat the engine and run it. The leak will show it's face. You can, for a very short time, put your finger over the blow by tube to make pressure. The leak will show up. While you are there, look at the tube and make sure it is not plugged/obstructed. If it is, clear it and run it. The leak might clear up.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Then it isn't a spray leak. Powder works well. Coat the engine and run it. The leak will show it's face. You can, for a very short time, put your finger over the blow by tube to make pressure. The leak will show up. While you are there, look at the tube and make sure it is not plugged/obstructed. If it is, clear it and run it. The leak might clear up.
That powder idea is really neat!
Much better than degreasing then waiting for some dirt to collect again :cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks