• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Leak From Under The Dash

rsh253

While driving my M35A2 the other day, it peed on my right foot. It looks like I have oil coming out of the front axle engagement switch located under the dash. Any ideas to the cause and fix? Thanks.

-Russ

Blake

valve

Have you drained your air tanks lately? Ive seen moisture ooze out the airshift valve when the tanks had alot of moisture in them.

rsh253

I drain the air reservoirs everytime I shut down at the end of the day. Both tanks are draining OK. The fluid is oil, not brake fluid. Is there any way that oil from the transfer case could get into this line?

Thank for the help!

-Russ

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does your front axle engage properly?

Is it dirty oil? Maybe it's coming from your tachometer cable or speedometer cable?

FreightTrain

Banned
Are you sure it is from the switch and not just running down from behind the dash?Only place that you could be getting oil is from the Tach and the air lines.I can see oil being pumped through the air system if the compressor is getting worn or oil being forced though the tach cable housing if the sender is shot but that is about the only way I can really see it.The Oil pressure gauge is an electric unit.Speedo is on the transfer so there wouldn't be any pressure there to push oil though the cable.Maybe you have a leak under the hood blowing through the firewall?

rsh253

FrieghtTrain-
The oil is definitely coming from the transfer switch. I wrapped a paper towel around it to stop it from leaking on my foot as I was driving home.

Moreorles2-
It sounds like I have the same problem you did. I pulled the covers (and a Pox on the mechanic who replaced the original bolts with much longer ones - very difficult to remove them after many years of rust set in. :evil: ) and removed the vent valves from the trans & transfer case. Neither was completely plugged; but the one on the transfer case might have been stuck had freed itself. The oil at the switch would be explained by a stuck or plugged breather vent. I've clean both and will see if that fixes the problem. I bet it does.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions! :D

BR, Russ

rsh253

doghead-

Forgot to mention that my front axle does engage properly. And a good thing it does. I was on a trip when the oil leak started & decide to return home rather than continuing. About 5 miles from home I threw........no, launched, the main drive shaft. But that's another story. I was able to get home by using the front axle.

-Russ

WildSide

First of all rsh253, I'll jump on to your thread because we need to get together sometime.

Very similar to your problem so I hope I am not hijacking, I have oil coming from my speedo cable. I think I need to tighten it to the dash panel, but I also think the speedometer adapter that connects to the transfer case is leaking and may be the root of my problems. I put about 1/2 quart of oil on the chassis during my drive home from Jacksonville with the TCase as the source. Now upon closer inspection it looks like the speedo adapter is the culprit, possibly along with a plugged vent. Do you guys think that this is a plugged vent and a bad adapter is to blame for the oil blowing out under the truck and up the cable into the cab? I'll check the vent now, but would the adapter also be bad causing the speedo cable to leak?

Thanks.

Ryan

rsh253

Hi Ryan,

We all here sharing information, so your'e not hijacking. I can't help with your problem with the speedo. Hope someone else can. My speedo needle was bouncing when I picked up my deuce and I had to clean & grease my cable to stop it.

I'll send you a PM. I'm just up I-77 from Rock Hill.

-Russ

jblack6527

rsh253 said:
doghead-

Forgot to mention that my front axle does engage properly. And a good thing it does. I was on a trip when the oil leak started & decide to return home rather than continuing. About 5 miles from home I threw........no, launched, the main drive shaft. But that's another story. I was able to get home by using the front axle.

-Russ
I'd like to hear the rest of that one..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks