• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil leak idenification

broman78

I was looking under my truck today cause i had a weird vibration and while greasing everything I noticed an oil leak, it seems to be coming from my exhaust manifold and also a leak around my injection pump. What could be the cause of the each individual leak. Thanks again.

I recently came across this post about how a deuce is supposed to leak.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/28363-how-much-leakage-deuce.html

Attachments

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Leaks END UP on the low side, they start high. Most of your pics are of the bottom of the engine. Start from the top and work your way down 'till you see a wet spot, that's where your leak STARTS.
On your vibration, you should check the drive line flange bolts, especially the shaft between the trans and t-case. They come loose frequently. It is not a good thing if they come out :shock:. If they keep comming loose, replace the nuts with a high grade nylock type.

zout

I personally would start with degreasing the engine and pressure wash it thoroughly - what oil are you using ?
run the engine once again to determine pinpoint leakage.

If you have ran the unit down the road before the pic's - oil will blow up ^ and around the engine compartment and components - looks worse than actual.
This is only what I would personally do - and would give you a more exact location.
Then re-shoot pics

BugEyeBear

Brake Cleaner works well to quickly remove oil.

Then run engine & look for leaks.

You might need to run at higher RPMs (higher oil pressure) to detect leak.

On the Passenger's Side I SUSPECT that you have some slight weeping from your head gasket. If this is just external weeping and doesn't result in a large loss of oil you'll probably just learn to live with it. BUT IF it results in a lot of oil loss you'll probably want to fix it before your oil gets too low. (There are some oil additives that are supposed to help fix small leaks, but I'm not sure I trust them...) It looks like something I'd live with.
I have a small "weeping" leak from behind my oil filter base. It slowly makes the Driver's side of my engine block covered with a film of oil, but it isn't bad enough for me to tear it apart & fix it. Yet...
Also, you are missing your main down vent extension hose...

On the Driver's Side I SUSPECT that your IP has some loose flange & cover bolts. Try to snug up those IP bolts & your leaks should slow.
BUT check the oil lines above/below the IP to ensure that these aren't leaking. These do get old/dry & leak at times.
My IP has some "weeping" from the flanges. I need to tear it apart some day to fix these leaks, but so far I just live with them.

Older Cars/Trucks do tend to leak.
Seal & Gasket technology back then wasn't what it is today.
& seals & gaskets leak more as they age.

I own several old British Cars, so I'm used to oil leaks!
Q: How do you know that your Jaguar is out of oil?
A: It stops leaking!

ALSO, it is an old story/joke that says there was once a Jaguar Enthusiast who couldn't afford to buy a Jag, but really wanted to join the comraderie of the local Jag Owners Club. SO he poured out a pint of oil on his garage floor and told everyone that his Jag was in the repair shop. No one ever doubted him, & he was a club member for many years!

There must be a similar story for Deuce owners!

Last edited:

jmh4x4

did you let it idle a really long time before noticing the leak, they tend to slober oil when idling. When i was flushing my antifreeze i had oil leaking out of the first joint in the exhaust pipe leaving the manifold. quite possible your weak spot is the manifold gasket. just a thought