• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil leaking at exhaust manifold?

tco3129

Replaced my busted block engine with a running engine from a parts truck. First I noticed a ticking sound and assume the rockers need adjusting. Puzzleing to me is oil ozing out around the #1 and #6 cylinder exhaust manifold. It's not the valve covers - they're dry. Bad valve guides? Injectors sticking and flooding cylinders with fuel? I got no idea but my mechanic buddy says local driving only till we find out why. (Cheaper tow bill) Anybody got any suggestions??

RAYZER

A ticking sound sometimes indicates a head gasket fire ring compression leak, it will ooz fuel and look like oil if your running wmo as fuel.
It happened to mine.

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds like what they call wet stacking it is cause by not fully burning the fuel from the injectors. The knock could also be the tip washed out of the injector where it is wet stacking if running the over head does not take care of the knock. If no problems with the parts and your engine gets up to operating temp the best way to not wet stack is to drive and NOT let it idle much.

tco3129

Planned to pull the injectors just for a look see. Don't know if these injectors are one hole or two. My old engine had two hole. Don't know if it really makes much difference.I had hoped not to pull the heads. After buying the parts truck, a clutch kit, transmission jack, chain block, and gantry crane, I'm about tapped out.

tco3129

Just read "oil from exhaust manifold" from the similar threads column below. Sounds very promising. -Don't idle it, run it.- Sound plausable to you guys?

RAYZER

Planned to pull the injectors just for a look see. Don't know if these injectors are one hole or two. My old engine had two hole. Don't know if it really makes much difference.I had hoped not to pull the heads. After buying the parts truck, a clutch kit, transmission jack, chain block, and gantry crane, I'm about tapped out.
The two hole injectors are a newer style, when you pull them,have them pop tested,that's the only way to tell if their working properly.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you think one or two might be bad, put a screw driver handle to your ear, then put the tip on the injector body while the motor is running. You should be able to hear the difference of a bad injector.

Edit, if you have another set of injectors, have them serviced! Then swap out that set for the set in your truck.

Jeepsinker

One or two hole doesn't matter, as long as they all match. You might try adjusting the valves first. Bad valve adjustment can cause unburnt fuel to accumulate in the manifold runners quickly, which mixes with dry carbon and then leaks out looking like oil. Bad valve adjustment also can add to oil consumption and really bad fuel economy.

tco3129

Thanks everyone. Swapped out #1 & 6 injectors with known good. (all 2 hole) I'll get a full set tested and swap in all 6 when the $ is available. Also adjust the valve lash next day it's not raining. It now seems to run pretty good. Made 2 trips to town, about a 40 mile round trip each. Leak seems to have stopped or at least slowed. Again, thanks much guys.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks