• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil leaking from front of cylinder head

Mike O

My Deuce has been leaking some motor oil out of the front of the head gasket. Not a ton of oil, but enough to annoy me and getting one of the coolant hoses greasy. Thought it might be a valve cover gasket at first but it is definitely the cylinder head gasket. Is this something major to worry about, like should I not be driving it at all until I replace the head gaskets? Do I need to replace the head gaskets? I'm thinking yes. I have a new radiator, belts and hoses to install but I hate the thought of my new hoses getting oil on them, much less having something go seriously wrong with my engine. What do you fellows say?

Jeepsinker

Mine has been leaking from the front since I got it. It is annoying but not a big deal as long as it isn't leaking real bad. Just keep some degreaser handy and clean it every few times you drive it. I've given up trying to keep mine clean until I swap engines.

Mike O

Thanks guys, I will try re-torquing the heads. Where is a good place to get the special adapter to torque the nuts under the edge of the head? No oil in the AF or vice versa. I do see some tiny bubbles at the edge of the head where the leak is but they stop when the engine has warmed up. No, I don't run any WMO fuel, just regular diesel. No clicking that I can hear.

dmetalmiki

Get someone to make you a suitable spanner (wrench) by heating and bending it. I made my own using the oxy kit. If that does not work, then change the head gasket. (if you deem the leak bad/annoying enough.

Woodsplinter

Both of my head gaskets have been seeping since I bought the truck 2 years ago. Not enough to drip onto the ground so I'm not going to change them yet. I just clean the engine periodically and check the oil level. I don't think I know anybody whose deuce doesn't seep or leak from the head gaskets- it's pretty common.

You can change them if a messy engine bothers you- just be aware it's a big job.

Jeepsinker

IF you change the head gaskets, apply some copper spray-a-gasket to all the surfaces and both sides of the gaskets. That is the best thing to keep the oil from seeping again.

Mike O

Thanks for all the help guys. I will make a wrench and re-torque the head and see if that does it. I'm not too jazzed about pulling the heads so hopefully that won't be necessary.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IF you change the head gaskets, apply some copper spray-a-gasket to all the surfaces and both sides of the gaskets. That is the best thing to keep the oil from seeping again.
I'm with you on this one. I researched it a lot before I put my head gaskets on and I decided to put them on dry. Mine seeps a little and if I was going to do it again, I would use that copper spray-a-gasket. I think it might help with the seepage.

acesneights1

Replace both head gaskets instead of just one while your in there.
This/\
Most of the work is pulling the intake/exhaust manifold. That is the hardest part of the job because it's mostly handwrench work. Once the Manifolds are off, the rest is easy. Do them both.

Motorcar

Mine has the same issue...for the last five years. Runs like a champ, no crossover leaks to or from coolant. Old style fire ring head gaskets, hasn't bothered me enough to do the change and may not ever.

Maverick1701

mine also seep a little. not enough to hit the ground but it gets the block a little wet.

I am going to remove valve covers & attempt a re-torque when get a few days off.

Merc1973

Thanks. I have been meaning to start a thread on this last summer. Mine just started leaking last year. Runs fine, just the passenger side block is oily as well as the axle now. Dipstick reads the same, but coolant slowly disappears. Waiting to hear results of retorqueing head bolts/nuts.