• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil leaking out wheel, what should i do???

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You REALLY need to take a look at the TMs on this site, when your asking if its gear oil on your tires that is a little concerning to me? These are old trucks we ALL need to be a little familiar with what is going on with them, They are going to break and we ALL need to have a rudimentary knowledge of what to do when these things happen, remember THEY are old trucks!
KK

rustystud

You REALLY need to take a look at the TMs on this site, when your asking if its gear oil on your tires that is a little concerning to me? These are old trucks we ALL need to be a little familiar with what is going on with them, They are going to break and we ALL need to have a rudimentary knowledge of what to do when these things happen, remember THEY are old trucks!
KK
I totally agree ! I've said it before and I'll say it again. Read the TM's especially the Operators manual ! Then start a regular schedule of PM (preventive maintenance). You don't have to follow the military's schedule ( as theirs is for full time service) but follow one that will meet your needs. If you only drive a few times a year then a once yearly check-up will be fine. If you drive daily then follow the military's schedule, but start and keep a maintenance program ! At work I've been the "Inspector" for a few years now (since I'm old and broken down ! ) . Even with 4,000 mile inspections buses still breakdown and need to be towed back to the shop. That's why all the bases ( 7 ) each have their own wrecker. So if we cannot catch things at 4,000 miles inspections how do you expect to catch serious problems when you hardly ever inspect your truck ? I know some will say " I almost never inspect my car and it works fine " . Well I got news for you, large trucks are not cars and they will break just setting there. Whenever you have a "Large" piece of equipment it will need extra service just due to the extra forces working against it. There is a reason the axles, and transmissions and transfer cases are so big ! They need to be to handle all the extra forces exerted against them. If you started to "race" your cars on a regular basis then you would have major malfunctions happen all the time. For those who still don't believe me I challenge you to mount one of those "sport" cameras under you truck looking at the axles. Then just take it for a "normal" drive down the road. You will be surprised at how much is going on down there. :rant:

RaggedyMan

Don't know what the normal rate is there but here it's $75/hour, I'm planning on $700-$800.
The good news is that I was way over on my estimate , it was only $252.50 and that was 2hrs at $80/hr.
The bad news is that this really doesn't help you any.

Perhaps the quote you got was from someone who hasn't worked on a deuce before and they're playing it safe. The people working on mine have done repairs on a couple that Liberty University have that they use at their mountain retreat. They're trying to sell one of them now (way overpriced) and are replacing them with Humvees. (If I decide on a humvee at least I know where to go.)

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a guy work on my truck years ago and he put the outer seal in backwards. Yea it leaked! Follow the TMs and you'll be able to do it yourself and do it right.

rmgill

The $500 is just for 1 wheel. Its a bobbed deuce so it is only the rear. I get where your coming from with the 500. If that much oil is coming out should i even drive it till its fixed?
Do you have tools?

Is this your only truck or is it a second vehicle?

If you can take things apart and work on it, I would strongly suggest you do the work yourself and consult folks here along the way.

1. You're young, these skills are useful.
2. you'll learn more about your truck and learn more about how it works.
3. you'll save money.
4. Spend money on tools you may need RATHER than someone else's work.
5. The task at hand appears to be very easy and not THAT difficult. This time of year is ideal time for this work, not too hot and easy to do all things considered.

This could be as simple as pulling the axle and flange, cleaning the faces, putting a new gasket in and tightening some bolts down properly.

rustystud

Do you have tools?

Is this your only truck or is it a second vehicle?

If you can take things apart and work on it, I would strongly suggest you do the work yourself and consult folks here along the way.

1. You're young, these skills are useful.
2. you'll learn more about your truck and learn more about how it works.
3. you'll save money.
4. Spend money on tools you may need RATHER than someone else's work.
5. The task at hand appears to be very easy and not THAT difficult. This time of year is ideal time for this work, not too hot and easy to do all things considered.

This could be as simple as pulling the axle and flange, cleaning the faces, putting a new gasket in and tightening some bolts down properly.
I'm in total agreement with you rmgill . It's like the old adage, "Give a man a fish and he will be hungry tomorrow. Teach a man to fish (and get him a fishing pole) and he'll never be hungry again" .

TsgtB

Can a clogged vent blow our that much lube....? (mine is leaking now, after a 30 mile drive...)
Bur mine is on the inside of the wheel... (I ordered a full seal kit)

rmgill

As the pumpkin heats up, sure it can. Have you actually checked the axle flange bolts for tightness?

I've had that happen three or four times from axle flanges bolts working loose after having serviced an axle. It's an easy to fix. Could also be the gasket is damaged, but that's an easy fix as well. Just cut out some cardboard gasket or use cardboard from thin box (cereal box cardboard is near perfect).