• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil leaks

wayne pick

Hea guys, My Engine has some oil leaks that have gotten progressively worse in the past year or so, and I need some advice/opinions on the best way to deal with it. I have a friend that owns a shop, so I had him look over the leaks as I am working between 10 to 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. I have no time to repair it, or a place to do the job.

The engine is leaking from the left valve cover, front engine cover, rear main and the front crank seal. Here's the question, With the cost of resealing the entire engine, I was thinking about just swapping it out with a take out from Ted's trucks, resealing it at my leisure, and having a spare for a future
project.
I do have another option though, I have an 82 C code red block in storage with 75K on a rebuild, and is complete down to the last nut and bolt. Any input would de appreciated.

Have you checked the CDR valve? If that plugs up it can increase crankcase pressure and cause oil leaks. But if it's been plugged up or leaking for a long time, changing or cleaning the CDR, might not solve anything.

How much would it cost to reseal the engine? vs. What would it cost to swap the entire engine? I would assume your buddy would be doing the work either way. How many miles are on your truck/engine?

If replacing the engine is a whole lot cheaper...then the rebuilt one you have might not be a bad way to go since you already have it. But you would have to swap the alternators and starter (unless your truck is converted to 12volt). You could also swap out the emissions stuff for the non-emissions stuff from the CUCV engine.

How long has it been in storage, and in what conditions? Was it prepped for storage?
I ask because with 75K mi. already on it, if it has had time to really dry out and sit there, it might leak fluids, have some rust inside the engine/coolant passages, the seals in the injector pump could be shot, glow plugs bad, etc. So there's the possibility it could need a reseal or rebuild anyways.

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
valve covers and front cover leaks are ez to fix but rear main.... you might want to get that other engine and re ring and seal it if you feel the need for a spare engine. BUT... its not going to save you any time. Removing and reinstalling the new engine will only take a few hours less then just resealing the one you got plus cost a ton more.

wayne pick

Hea guys, Thanks for the helpful input. The CDR valve is only three years old, so I never suspected it as the cause of the leaks, but now thanks to DriverSideImpact, Im thinking it probably is the cause. The C code Red Block was out of a wreck and sat at another friends junk yard shrink wrapped outside for three years, but never properly prepped for storage. I have never heard it run, but I did fog the cylinders, and it does turn freely.

After thinking about this yesterday, I figured even if I swap over the J code intake, banks turbo and IP to the C code engine, I will loose approx twenty HP right off the bat, so advice taken, resealing the original engine is the way to go. Thanks guys!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks