• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil level flucuating,spin ons??

wcolt45

To date i have put 2400 miles on my deuce,installed Westfolk spin-ons with Napa 1789 anti drainback filters and changed oil when i got the truck. problem is upon checking level when cold yesterday it was at #2 on the dipstick,didnt add or do anything,today it is back to normal prestart reading,what would cause this? always parked on same level area,could it be falty filters ???

Clay James

Could be. I have his kit too with 1060 filters and when I changed the oil last one of them was empty so the filter failed.

Flyingvan911

I have Westfolk's kit and 1789 filters too. I check my oil every week or two before driving my deuce. It does go up or down a little depending on how much has seeped through the anti-drainback seal. It has never been down like that. I think you leaked some out or burned some. How often do you check you oil?

wcolt45

I check it before every start up,and do the "wait one minute" after shutdown every 2-3 weeks,the truck is only used for play,not ran super hard or loaded,no leaks to speak of,park on concrete and no spots,but why would it show low,at the #2 one day then show full today?if its burning oil it should stay at #2 or lower.

steelandcanvas

Type 3 Oil Filter Chart

I have a chart at home that lists the different filters and wether or not they have the anti drain-back feature. I'll post when I get home.

Here is the chart, feel free to download it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jake0147

Drainback valves are not infallible devices. Usually they do OK for a couple of weeks. Some don't make a couple of days. They're really designed to not leak down overnight, like for a daily driver type application. Truth is, you never really will get rid of the porosity of the filter media it's self, so the goal of "perfect" will never actually be attained.

After shutdown, it should register as full.
After leakdown, it should register very near the "K" in the word "CHECK".
Ideally with anti-drainback filters, would never raise back at all after sitting.

dittle

That must be why it flucuates,with these old engines i guess its gonna use a little oil,but curious as to how much is normal?
That's an open ended question meaning that every engine is different. Mine has a wet spot on the back of the engine from up top that leaks so little that I don't notice a change in oil by the time I do the next oil change. Another engine my have weak rings and burn oil, you could have your turbo seal fail and then really use the oil up quick. Ideally no oil would be used but we don't live in a perfect world and our engines are not perfect.

Just for background purposes I have stock filters.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks