• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil level

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Newbie, M35A2 with Herc engine, did my first oil & filter change. Has spin on filters. The TM's say 22 quarts, cold full should be 1- 1/2 inch above the full mark, hot after 1 minute should be between the add and full.
It drained 20 quarts and took 20 quarts. Hot or cold it reads at the full mark.
Oil press at idle is under 30.
What does everyone else see?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which spin on filters? If you have filters with an anti-drain-back valve (good!) installed, there will not be much difference in oil levels one minute after shutdown and hours after shutdown because the only oil that adds itself to the pan is what little comes down from the engine internals, not the 3 or 4 quarts sitting inside the filters.

The old style canister filters or spin ons without the valve will drain themselves completely and that is where the real difference in oil level readings comes from.

Cold check with regular non valved filters: oil level should sit at the E of CHECK on the dipstick.

With drainback valves if it sits between FULL and ADD you are golden.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using Wix 1458. But shouldn't changin the filters remove that oil from the system even with no drainback valves?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The WIX 51458/NAPA 1458 do have the anti-drainback valve. When you initially changed the oil, then you also removed whatever oil was left in the filters. I am ASSUMING that the spin ons you removed were also anti-drainback type filters. If they were not, well.....

Then you put new oil in, installed new filters, ran the engine, "lost" the oil that it took to fill the filters and then adjusted the oil level, correct? If that tallies up to 20 quarts, so be it....it usually is slightly more, like 22.
The difference between FULL and minimum on the dipstick is something like 6 quarts (not sure offhand, but something like that), so I would not fret about that small of a difference of 2 qt (provided your calculations are all correct!).

Also, there are other variables, such as for how long did you let the oil pan drain? It can go on dripping for a long time, depending on ambient temperature, oil viscosity and whether the truck is really level or not. Oil can sit somewhere in a pocket just because the angle happens to be just right. It is unlikely that you get "all" the oil out. Even a dented oil pan can account for a quart! :wink:

Last edited:

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Left the drain plugs out for a coupe of hours. Used a 5 gal bucket of oil so I know the 20 qts is correct. Never adjusted the oil level after the change.

The forward filter lost a little when I removed it, the aft one much more. Next time I'll get a pan directly under the filters to avoid the mess.

Shan't worry if it reads good. I always change oil more often than recommended. We'll see what occurs next time.

Thanks

Deplorable1

I just changed my oil and filters (cartridge style) over the weekend. I have just a hair over 40psi cold and 30psi at operating temp (4.5 mile trip). The dipstick is about an inch to an inch and a half over full after sitting for 3 days and just above the full mark between f and u (insert joke here) after the same 4.5 mile trip, I filled it with 6 gallons even. I drive a truck for a living and an extra quart or 2 doesn't hurt as long as you don't go any further that that, too much and it will start to aerate. That's what I'm seeing.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Newbie, M35A2 with Herc engine, did my first oil & filter change. Has spin on filters. The TM's say 22 quarts, cold full should be 1- 1/2 inch above the full mark, hot after 1 minute should be between the add and full.
It drained 20 quarts and took 20 quarts. Hot or cold it reads at the full mark.
Oil press at idle is under 30.
What does everyone else see?
I agree with Cattlerepairman. I don't see anything out of line.
Did you drain both sumps on the oil pan?
The spin-on filters also have smaller housings than the original canisters, so that probably accounts for the missing 2 qts.
Your idle oil pressure is lower than mine, but still within spec. You could verify it with a mechanical gauge if you wanted to.
As long as your oil level is near the full mark one minute after shutdown, you're good to go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks