• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Lines for a 250/855 turbo upgrade?

madsam

OK. I have asked this in several posts,and search for it, but can not find it. I am going to do a turbo upgrade on my 816 and I need to know where to connect the oil lines to the engine. I assume it will hook to the same place as the 400, but I can't find any pics on that. Does anyone have a diagram or pic of where the oil lines connect on a 250 or 400?

beaubeau

Turbo instal

jwalker. I am waiting paoers on a m818 I purchased and I recently found out that a 250 does not have a turbo. What did U use and how much Mods did U have to do? I am sure I can get a torbo and get it on, one way or the other!
I believe U want to hoock Ur oil lines at a Preasure Point as close as the oil pump as possible. I made a Conversion short while ago and hoocked the turbo on the line comming out of the oil filter.Good clean cool oil!! Good luck, Phil

supermechanic

get oil from same point as gauge sender. put tee in block at that point,i think it's 1/8 pipe size.
don't turn up the fuel unless you have a pyrometer and know enough to believe it.
a 250 will cook(cook as in 'bad', not cook as in 'hey baby, it's smokin') with extra fuel, as the oil cooled pistons found in it's bigger brothers are missing.
do not lug this engine if you turn up the fuel.
you will ruin it.
no sh*t.
real stuff,believe it.

madsam

Thanks for the info. I don't plan to turn the fuel up. I just need to get the oxygen up to what it was at sea level. I live at 10k feet.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, no aftercooler needed. For the oil supply, you might want to tap into a 1/4 or 3/8 pipe hole. The 1/8 might not flow enough to keep the bearings cooled.

madsam

WillWagner said:
No, no aftercooler needed. For the oil supply, you might want to tap into a 1/4 or 3/8 pipe hole. The 1/8 might not flow enough to keep the bearings cooled.
But the barrings at a specific pressure 60 to 90lbs bleed only a specific amount of oil out. Are you saying there is a part that runs extra oil over the turbo barrings to cool them?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the 250's were changed to "Super 250s" , some people plumbed the oil supply line from the 1/8 pipe hole instead of the 1/4 one at the oil cooler. The ones that were plumbed to the 1/8 pipe hole, failed turbos more often than the ones plumbed to the 1/4 hole. Somewhere in the mountains of paperwork I have, is a SPT on this subject. I think it's a flow thing. With a 1/4 pipe fitting, there is about twice the oil at the same 60 psi put through the bearing housing.
Forgot to add, they were ST50 turbos too, not the T46 A/B.

madsam

Aaa. Some conversion from the army had to small a hole. So I just make sure I use at least 1/4 inch pipe, and I will be fine.

Thanks.