• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil on the floorboard?

FTWTechnologyInc

I just returned from a 300 mile trouble free winter road trip to Lee County, KY in my M1009 CUCV. When I got out of the truck back at the house, I noticed that my left boot made an oily red print in the snow. I checked out the floorboard and found that there was a class 3 leak somewhere under the dash/firewall somewhere above the accelerator which was pooling (dark red oily substance) on the left side of the floor mat. It's -6º out today so I am not too energetic about digging into the source, so I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to what the culprit could be? Power steering fluid? Thanks in advance

ranchhopper

Sounds like you have a bad seal in the hydroboost they always leak down the firewall and starts a puddle on the drivers side floor. Not a big deal unbolt the master off it and unbolt it from the firewall unpin it from the brake pedal arm and take it in to your local parts store around 140 dollars depending on what part of the country you live in.

ranchhopper

The hydroboost is run off your power steering pump that is power steering fluid leaking into your truck. Your brakes will feel normal until you deplete the power steering reservoir then you have manual brakes the power steering pump will start to whine when it gets low. You will not loose your brakes completely as the brake system is seperate it just uses the power steering pump to provide the boost like the gasoline trucks use the vacuum from the engine to provide the power boost to your brakes.

dragon1124

I have the same problem going on right now. I actually met up with ranchhopper who was kind enough to change glow plugs for me, which I am still grateful for. I showed him the puddle and he said it's from the hydroboost. Watch your power steering level. It does whine when the fluid gets down. I will get mine fixed as soon as I can, but there are a couple more parts I need to replace first.

I found a replacement hydro-boost from o'reilley's http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/A1C0/527248.oap?pt=01305&ppt=C0066 that's near me, $55 with the core. I might check it out and hope it's the right one myself.

Last edited:

FTWTechnologyInc

I finally got out there and found the source. Like Ranchhopper said, there was a leak at the Hydroboost. I called NAPA and asked them if they could get a replacement and they have one for a 1984 6.2 Liter diesel K5 Blazer for 135.oo. Does anyone have a correct part number for cross reference?

Thanks in advance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks