• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil or Dexton in tranny???

autigers35a3

Change from oil to Dextorn in tranny thoughts?
My A3 has 15,000 miles..shifts fine...
I have filters to change ... curious to stay with 10wt oil ot go to Dextron III....
Thanks....

kennys@wi.rr.com

The TM calls for 15W40 not 10wt. After reading some A3 tranny threads it seems to be the best way to go. Some have had luck switching to a normal trans fluid as recomended by Alison. However, many more seem tohave problems soon after switching. I'm sure as with everything there is a " best way" to switch over, but I haven't heard of it yet.

Bottom line, nothing on an A3 is cheap so do lots of home work and lot of reading before you change anything over. And make sure you get the TM and use the specified fluids it calls for.

WarrenD

Might be worth contacting Royal Purple to see if their synthetic would work. I've heard only good things in general, but nothing specific regarding MVs (other than it seems to quiet down the transfer case in a M37).

Get that motor oil out of that trans as soon as possible. However, with that said, it is prudent to do several flush and fills. Be shure to drop the pan and change the filter too. The Dextron will liberate all sorts of junk left from the motor oil. So, if you just change the fluid without the flush and fills, you will likely do more harm than good. The motor oil is notorious for varnishing under any sort of.load.

Rustygears

Do not use Transcend - it's a waste of money. I have been very happy with Napa hydraulic/trans oil. It carries dex III, GL, C4 and other important ratings. It is cost effective, professional and comes in 5 gal pails, so that works for the flushes and fills from just 1 pail. Napa also sells the external and internal filters as well.

Ok, just looked at one of the Baldwin filters I got from Erick. It is a metal 6.5"x11.75" double walled enclosure about 3/8" thick that is pressed with wavy surfaces much like a gold sluce. (Almost like corigated). It does indeed have a screen at the pickup orifice. There is no fiber filter material visible.

Will post a pic if you desire... Just not tonight.

Last edited:
Do not use Transcend - it's a waste of money. I have been very happy with Napa hydraulic/trans oil. It carries dex III, GL, C4 and other important ratings. It is cost effective, professional and comes in 5 gal pails, so that works for the flushes and fills from just 1 pail. Napa also sells the external and internal filters as well.
For the best bang for the.buck, you are absolutely correct. However, all reports that I have seen from all of those who have done this, the Transyn does significantly lower the operating temp of the trans. That said, most Allison dealers will do their best to.dissuade you from going with converting to Transyn from regular motor oil as it is very difficult to get ALL of the motor oil.out of the torque converter, and the Transyn is NOT compatible, not.even a.little.bit, with the.motor oil. Which has shown to.cause problems.

My father switched from Dextron to Transyn in his Monico 40' RV several years ago, and saw a 30+ deg F reduction in trans temp in normal use. It also extended the service interval to at least 50k miles. He never had any negative.issues with this. Positive only. He convinced me to go with the Transyn on my newly factory remanfactured trans for my A3. Time will.tell. At least, I will have the Allison factory 2 year parts and labor warranty, if it was not one of my better decisions. I do trust my father's advice. It is absolutely amazing how smart he is the older.that I.get. Funny how that works out...

The Allison remanfactured 1541P came with Transyn already in it, which helped.make my decision.

Prankster

Goop

I gave up on Transmission fluid, ATF, and Gear Lube a long time ago.
Now I use Lucas Oil Stabilizer. It works great for Automatics, and Manual transmissions alike. I also use it for replacement oil for the rear-end, and transfer case. I like the way it makes everything run smooth, cool, and quite.

ApopkaFL

Banned
RECOMMENDED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID
AND VISCOSITY GRADE

Hydraulic fluids (oils) used in the transmission are important influences on
transmission performance, reliability, and durability.

DEXRON®-III fluids are
recommended for on-highway applications.

Type C-4 fluids are recommended
for severe duty and off-highway applications.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get rid of the motor oil anc change to Dexron III. The only reason the Army used motor oil in the Allison was to eliminate one more fluid that needed to be supported in the field. I contacted Allison technical support, not a dealer rep. Allison definitely recommends Dexron III as this is the fluid that the transmission was designed to use. Technical service also told me that TranSynd is better, but only as far as extending fluid changes and that Dexron III functions just as well. I was also told not to use any of the newer Dexrons because they were not compatible with the seals.

When I changed out to Dexron III with multiple drains and fills, my transmission started shifting much smoother. An amazing difference and it also runs cooler.

Havasu Sun

I have to agree with the benefits of switching...... I am two flushes into the conversion to NAPA Performance ATF fluid and the diff is significant. It shifts smother and drives much better. two more drains and a filter change are in my future.:beer:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How long are you guys waiting in-between changing the fluids. Are you changing the all the filters each time?
I drove my truck around 5 - 10 miles between changes and did all the changes in one day. I wanted to make certain that the fluid was hot and well mixed before draining.

hemichallenger

Ok, just looked at one of the Baldwin filters I got from Erick. It is a metal 6.5"x11.75" double walled enclosure about 3/8" thick that is pressed with wavy surfaces much like a gold sluce. (Almost like corigated). It does indeed have a screen at the pickup orifice. There is no fiber filter material visible.

Will post a pic if you desire... Just not tonight.
Do you have the Baldwin part number? I sure could use it.