• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil pan cracked on my 09

jongainey

My oil pan is leaking from where what looks like the front axle nit the bottom of it. Its not a bad leak but I hate staining up my driveway. My question to you guys is I called NAPA and they told me to get a new steel one would be 149.00 plus tax. does that sound right? also is there a good compound or JBweld of sorts that I could use to patch it? the crack is only an inch long and very thin. any input would be great!

SmokeyDod

You should be able to find a used oil pan at most any junk yard. Just call around your area and ask for 6.2 diesel oil pan. I think any year from 82 up would work. Explain that you don't need running engine-just pan. My guess $20-30 dollars. If you don't have any luck, I can come up with one but it might cost little more due to shipping etc.

armytruck63

If you can't find a used pan, then don't try JB Weld or something like that. It will be almost impossible to get it to work with oil in the pan, an even if you drain the oil you will still have a hard time.

I would drain the oil remove the pan and braze it, or take it to a welding shop and have them work on it. The repair, a new gasket, and oil and a new filter should cost less than $149.00. [thumbzup]

AndrewH

There is always the junkyard option. $150 for a shiny new one doesn't seem toooooo bad. Rock Auto (rockauto.com) has them for $101 + you ship it.

Somebody here might have one in the classified too.

Andrew

Mohawk Dave

weld it. it will hold oil just like a new one.

and btw, weld it slowly, in spurts as to not disform it with heat.

Amer-team

If welding is not an option or replacing, years ago I was given direction from fabricator at the welding shop to try some JB Weld. I had a Mercedes diesel with a cracked pan, somewhat similar to your description. He wanted to weld, but we would have had to almost pull the engine to get the pan off. He told me to of course drain the oil, take a propane torch and heat the area to burn off any oil. It has to be clean, mix and apply the JB Weld and let set for at least as long as recommended. That repair held for at least the 80,000 miles I put on the car after that and the guy that bought it from me never complained. The old welder told me they had done this type of repair on the block of a D8 Cat out at the mine, so they didn't have to pull the engine and take it out of service.

The repair depends on what your budget and time will allow. Replace, weld, or JB Weld. All will work depending on your needs.

Mohawk Dave

:ditto: JB weld will work. We smashed a pan on a chevy cavalier at Barstow (don't ask) and we used a ton of jb and toilet paper- picture paper mache- and made it home-86 miles. The busted area was approx 5" square. This was temp of course, but we have used it on old atc's and motorcycles, vehicles, tractors, etc, for years.

Like he said above, make sure it's clean. The cleaner the better. But pulling the pan is not extremly hard if you weld it, your choice.

Best wishes,

Dave

JUNKYARDJOHN

I have a couple of extra oil pans if you need one reasonable. They are on takeout 6.2 s that I bought from G.L. for parts & education. P.M. me if you need one. I'm in s/e KY. so shipping won't be to terrible. (just trying to help) John [thumbzup]

jongainey

Do you still have axle bump stops on your frame? They SHOULD prevent the axle from hitting the oil pan.

Yes I do. that was the 1st thing I checked. but thanks for thinking of that. and I dont have a welder here local that I know. I have always been a fan of jbweld but we used it on the farm mostly so didnt know if it could somehow put some Contamination in the oil. but thanks for the advice. think I will try the jb weld for now and see how it does.

Amer-team

On the contamination issue, JB won't contaminate the oil. The idea is to, after draining whatever oil is left, to heat the pan, with for instance a propane torch to burn off any oil residue that may remain on the crack in the pan. Once you are happy with that, apply JB, let it harden for a proper amount of time and you should be happy with the results.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks