• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Pan gasket replacement

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
I would like to offer a couple helpful hints. I replaced my oil pan gaskets yesterday in about 20 - 30 minutes, most of that time was spent putting the bolts back in and cleaning. Anyhow, I simply jacked the front axle up about 8 inches, then set the frame on jack stands and lowered the axle all the way down. I disconnected the diff breather tube and another line (can't remember what that line went to) up at the front of the oil pan. Removed the bell housing cover and the tranny cooling lines bracket. Removed the dipstick tube, all 24 bolts off the pan, gently pried it loose, swallowed about a pint of motor oil, and dropped the pan.
I followed the exact reverse steps (minus the pint of motor oil) to reinstall the pan. I think the key to all of it was putting the frame on stands and lowering the axe all the way down. That plus the diff breather and the one line at the front of the oil pan gave me more than enough room to painlessly pull the pan and put it back in.

Hope this helps out. Just trying to save people from any unnecessary labor.

blackhueys

Yep thats about how I do it not really hard job just not fun on the floor! I did follow the manual first but after that not any more as the manual has a few steps you dont really need to do.

rnd-motorsports

Yes most peaple listen to those that did it wrong and get scared not a bad job ! I like the let them set about 45 min to a hour to drip down befor I drop the pan less mess! to me Good job!

USAWEAPON777

Thanks sooooo much for the info! I've been neglecting to do mine after reading the manual and seeing all the steps that they show. Thanks for the tips so that I can get this done a lot faster!

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
Proper gaskets. A bit of a PITA but nothing that took more than a few minutes. RTV might be easier but if you plan to own your vic for awhile then you might wanna stick with gaskets. Much easier come replacement time.

USAWEAPON777

Hey guys, well I've been following your advice and so far the job hasn't been to bad. however, right before I dropped the pan, I realized I didn't unhook the dip stick and its tube. How did you guys remove the pan. With the bracket being hooked to the manifold it is rusted to high heaven and with generous amounts of pb blaster and a wrench it won't budge.

DokWatson

I don't remember if the bracket uses a manfiold bolt or not, but this method is useful for any rusted bolt. The best method for loosening manifold bolts is spraying it with PB and letting it sit for an hour or two, then running the engine to operating temp and cracking the bolts loose. I am assuming you have the engine drained of oil with the pan hanging loose, so your best bet is to let it soak in the PB then give it a couple LIGHT taps with a hammer and heat it with a torch if you have one. Don't reef on it with a breaker bar, you don't want to snap the head of the bolt off.

Last edited:

caladin

I don't remember if the bracket uses a manfiold bolt or not, but this method is useful for any rusted bolt. The best method for loosening manifold bolts is spraying it with PB and letting it sit for an hour or two, then running the engine to operating temp and cracking the bolts loose. I am assuming you have the engine drained of oil with the pan hanging loose, so your best bet is to let it soak in the PB then give it a couple LIGHT taps with a hammer and heat it with a torch if you have one. Don't reef on it with a breaker bar, you don't want to snap the head of the bolt off.

I do love me some PB. Never thought about the heat but thats an excellant Idea.

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
I had the same issue with mine but I saw it coming so the day before I did the pan, I started PB Blasting the bolt every two hours, all day long. It was slow turning but it backed off. You don't have to get it all the way off, just backed out a few threads so you can slip the bracket out. Its just a U shaped bracket.

USAWEAPON777

Well guys after a day or two of pb soaking and a propane torch it didn't budge. Now the nut is rounded off so I said screw and just pulled on the pan a little until the tube popped off and the pan came out. I'm just wondering how I'm going to be putting the pan in/making sure the gaskets don't move/ and putting the dipstick tube in at the same time lol

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
Yeah......thats gonna suck. You could just cut the bracket off the tube and use an existing bolt and a hose clamp to secure it. Im sure you could find a dozen other ways to do it.

USAWEAPON777

Yea thats what I was figuring. I'm gonna be workin on this stuff all week. I still have the pan out it was rusted to heck so I cleaned it up and painted it grabber green lol.

USAWEAPON777

To the OP. Sir I salute you. It took me about 7 hr's total to complete this job lol. I had issues since the first lug nut came off the wheel. Some impact jockie had gone to town on the front lugs. It took an breaker bar and a 4ft pipe to get each lug nut off. Took a while for me to remove each bolt in the cold only to find out that my pan was pretty beat up. Took a bit to clean and sand it then paint it. Realized according to the tm that I didn't need the gasket I purchased and used rtv. Boy I hope it holds. Then I put the pan back in and when tightening the bolts found out the same impact jockie had tightened the original front bolts so bad that they were stripped. Luckily the block has deeper threads than the original bolts so with some longer bolts in it tightened snug. Its finally in and tightened while the rtv cures. Man I hope it seals well. Thanks for the advice on the drop axle it definately help me squeeze myself in there to work. Also that you don't need the starter removed [thumbzup].

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
I happen to be an impact jockey.... no breaker bars for this guy. Anyhow, why the h3ll would you take your tires off to the oil pan? And if its any consolation, I had to do my oil pan 3 times in 2 days. First time the gasket didn't seal it. Second time I tried the gasket with RTV. Nope. 3rd time i just abused the pan with RTV. Nope. Now I've gotta buy a new pan. Good luck brother.

pigfoot63

Word of caution, I like the black RTV and have the pema-tex ultra black hi- temp is best for me. When using make sure you don't put it your threaded holes . It will only compress so far causing you to overtighten and strip bolts.

USAWEAPON777

I happen to be an impact jockey.... no breaker bars for this guy. Anyhow, why the h3ll would you take your tires off to the oil pan? And if its any consolation, I had to do my oil pan 3 times in 2 days. First time the gasket didn't seal it. Second time I tried the gasket with RTV. Nope. 3rd time i just abused the pan with RTV. Nope. Now I've gotta buy a new pan. Good luck brother.
My jackstands didn't go high enough to get the axle to droop with the tires on.