• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Pan replacement 6.5 L NEED HELP

DefendersMN

I have a dented oil pan on my M1123 6.5 L NA Diesel. I am trying to replace, but the starter is in the way of some of the bolts that need to come out. Do I have to remove the starter? Any tips, tricks? All the Technical manuals seem to feel it is a snap ( TM 9-2320-280-20-2 section 3-6.) Thanks M.

Action

I have a dented oil pan on my M1123 6.5 L NA Diesel. I am trying to replace, but the starter is in the way of some of the bolts that need to come out. Do I have to remove the starter? Any tips, tricks? All the Technical manuals seem to feel it is a snap ( TM 9-2320-280-20-2 section 3-6.) Thanks M.
You should read all of the directions in that section 3-6.

Equipment Condition
* Starter removed (para. 4-8 )
* Oil dipstick tube removed (para. 3-2)

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Starter has to come out first...
Otherwise you just can't reach the pan bolts.

I know you will - but be sure to disconnect the battery cables first!

DefendersMN

I got it done. Removed the cover over the starter gear, starter comes down with three bolts. You need a crowfoot wrench to loosen the front bolt on the starter. Oil pan was so dented I had to bend it a bit so that I could get the starter down! Oil pan was RTV sealed something fierce, chisels etc. new one went in no prob. I used permatex black for RTV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice work cleaning up the mating surfaces. I know it sucks doing that with oil dripping in your eyes. Is that a GEP engine? Never seen the red paint marks before.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really interesting... As I was looking through the pictures I had the same comment as @NDT - about how clean the bottom of the block was. You definitely Done Good there! Guessing that you bent the oil pickup tube back down to the bottom of the pan too?

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a Melton rebuild here with the red paint on the lower end bolts, came out of Albany in a M1045A2.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk