• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil pressure regulator

russ132

Hi all,

I have an oil leak from my oil pressure regulator. It is a slow leak but a leak none the less. I was wondering if any of you had disassembled this and what is involved. I have tried to search but there is little information on this. How many seals are there? Is there replaceable parts in this unit? Will I need to drain the oil to pull this unit?
Thank you

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's on the side of the engine block. It's also in the TMs.

One gasket, easy peasy...

russ132

Thanks Doghead. It is the Oil pressure regulator not the sending unit. Is it something that can fail and need rebuilt? Can it be rebuilt? Can it be adjusted? Will I need to drain the oil to remove the unit. I would hate to have a five gallon oily surprise when I pull it. I would look to my TM's but I do not have access to them for a few days. Thanks again.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No need to drain anything.

Just remove the bolts, replace the gasket and tighten it back up.

Sometimes just a bolt snugging , will slow or stop leakage there.

Have no fear! Very easy.

Attachments

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

Most of your engine oil is in the pan. Have a shop rag handy when you remove the oil pressure regulator, it might leak a little, but you won't have a 5 gallon surprise. IIRC, the only thing you'll find is a couple of springs when you pull it apart. I would imagine the spring's compression dictates the engine's oil pressure.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One spring regulates the turbo oil pressure, the other regulates the engine circulation oil.

There is a pressure relief in the oil pump as well.

If you fellas would read your TMs in bed at night, or on the thrown, you'd know this...;-)

Motorcar

Thanks for the diagram, didn't even know I had one. :shock:

I guess when I'm retired, kids out of the house, wife off my butt, sick family dead, broken cars fixed, house repaired, and raining outside I will be able to devote all my spare time to memorization of the TM's ;-)

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pic I posted is from the -34P.

I believe maintenance of it is covered in the -20 TM.

russ132

The oil regulator is located on the passenger side of the block behind the turbo. Pics as requested. I was very surprised at how little information there was in the forum on this.

Attachments

Bigdumanimal

In my tiresome search to stop oil from spraying out of my exhaust pipe and my rear main seal, I just replaced the oil pressure regulator on the side of the block this morning. I pulled the air cleaner hose off for better access and that was the only extra work. The turbo on my engine kept the top-right bolt from being pulled out, but there was enough room for the threads to come completely out of the block. The other 3 came out no problem with a 9/16" end wrench and socket where I had clearance. Just remember to put the top-right bolt in the new pressure reglator before you slap it back on the block.

You'll need a 1/32" or 1/64" gasket as well, and a flat-head screwdriver for the hose clamps on the air cleaner hose. Including cutting a new gasket, total job time was 1 hour.

crazywelder72

I had mine out for a ride tonight and my oil pressure was reading just above zero. I haven't had the truck long enough to have all the gauges memorized yet when operating (as i am trying to not crush cars on the road) not to mention that all the gauges have a lot of over-spray on them making it difficult to read quickly.

I shut off the electrial and the needle dropped way to the left of zero. turn the power back on and it's just barely above zero. I wonder if the sender is junk, or is the gauge junk, or is my psi junk. What is the best route to explore?

Bigdumanimal

The oil pressure gauge is the one on the bottom left corner. At least it is in my truck.

It could be the gauge or the sending unit or both, but I would verify the system pressure with a test gauge before I started replacing parts. I'm new to these trucks (but not to troubleshooting problems) so I can't tell you how to physically accomplish that. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had mine out for a ride tonight and my oil pressure was reading just above zero. I haven't had the truck long enough to have all the gauges memorized yet when operating (as i am trying to not crush cars on the road) not to mention that all the gauges have a lot of over-spray on them making it difficult to read quickly.

I shut off the electrial and the needle dropped way to the left of zero. turn the power back on and it's just barely above zero. I wonder if the sender is junk, or is the gauge junk, or is my psi junk. What is the best route to explore?
First thing to check is that the oil pressure sending unit matches the oil pressure gauge. I believe there are two
for these trucks, 60 psi and 120 psi.

rrrr

Two gauges and two pressure senders. The pressure sender should have the psi rating stamped on it. Mine did. Then make sure the gauge and sender match. I also pulled my oil pressure regulators and cleaned them up. This helped as well to get my pressures where I think they should be. I get about 30-35psi when running with the engine at operating temp.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks