• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil priming engine?

Nickaru

I've replaced my rear engine seal, but the engine has been drained of oil for about 4 months. I'm ready to start the engine any day now, but I'd like to prime the engine with engine oil before cranking and cranking and cranking.

Does anyone know of a recommended way to prime it other than cranking the engine? On gas engines, the distributor is removed and an old distributor shaft is used on a drill motor to drive the oil pump. I'm sure I can get an old vacuum pump, but does anyone know what else can be used?

During this down time, I also replaced the engine compartment fuel lines, fuel filter and fuel pump,(dumb idea now that I think about it) so I'm sure it's going to crank for a while and didn't want to hurt the engine of oil starvation while waiting for fuel to get to the injector pump.

Any suggestions would help.

Oiling it up

When I worked in an engine installing shop for 2 years (Dr Motorworx) we always removed the oil pressure sender/switch and used an old lp gas cylinder and adapters we made to force the oil in through the sender hole. Keep the inside diameter of all fittings as large as possible. The oil will move faster.
By this method we pressurized the oil system just as the oil pump would. This method was particularly important on some cars since the oil pumps in those few will not prime on a fresh built engine.

We soldered tire air valves into the top of lp gas bottles. Then soldered 1/2" copper water pipe, that was cut to reach the bottom of the tank, into the top of the tank. Hose clamps, at the tank, a bit of hose, and a fitting to fit your engine, at the other end, and you are in business.
Since our engines were carrying only 3-5 qts (not 5 gals) of oil it was a quick one shot deal to do.
If you get an oil pressure reading while you are injecting the oil, the gallery is full, and everything that gets oil is now wet, and you can just pour the rest into the normal filler location on the engine. :grd:

Westech

CPL
Unplug the fuel cut off switch wire and just crank it over for about 10 seconds. There will be no load on the bearings and your good to roll. That is what we did at the dealerships when we would replace a engine. Dont wate time and effort on priming the engine. It will do it all by its self, and with it not trying to start the bearings will be fine.

Keith_J

Remove the glow plugs for reduced load when cranking with the pink wire disconnected from the injection pump. In reality, there is still oil in the bearings, just not pressurized.

Nickaru

I did see on another site about taking the glow plugs out and pump wire off and cranking it that way.

Sounds like the path to take.

Thank you everyone.