• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil pump idler gear

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled the oil pan and cleaned it out. Happy to report no metal chunks and underneath the engine was very clean. Fiddling around and noticed the oil pump idler gear has was I think is a lot of slop perpendicular to the shaft. I've got a video of the movement but now way to post. Here is a still.

Did not measure backlash.
Its an idler so some slop may be ok. Anyone have this experience?
Oil pump idler.JPG

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
May be right. I found the bearing, gear is nowhere to be found but the question is does it need to be replaced? I have no idea but I hardly think it should wobble on the shaft. Be happy to send the vid to anyone. I'm waiting on parts for my front end so I have the time, about 8 hours per SS previous post. Front end parts won't be finished for another week and I've already got the oil pan off.

ToddJK

The gear itself looks good. Should be able to replace just the bearing as mentioned above. Good thing you caught it now before it led to a bigger issue later. Keep us updated!

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anything besides the radiator and harmonic balancer need removal to do the bearing? Bearing is on order.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who is a good source for engine parts? I'd like to find the snap rings and thrust washer just incase I need them and none of the major MV surplus vendors list the parts.

ToddJK

Who is a good source for engine parts? I'd like to find the snap rings and thrust washer just incase I need them and none of the major MV surplus vendors list the parts.
Have you tried to email or call Big Mikes to see if they can't get the parts? Be worth a try or at least maybe point you in the right direction. If that fails, might be worth looking into a spare engine to use for parts or someone who's willing to part one out.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you tried to email or call Big Mikes to see if they can't get the parts? Be worth a try or at least maybe point you in the right direction. If that fails, might be worth looking into a spare engine to use for parts or someone who's willing to part one out.
I checked them online but will call email/call today.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is from a different TM than what I have. What is #12 on your pic?
Sorry, my pic was generic and only intended to show you the correct bearing number...

#12 is just a flat washer (NSN 5340-850-3997), used as spacer for the early production shafts (NSN 5315-143-6399), which were straight pins.
Later engines had shouldered shafts, thus eliminating the washer.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the bearing and pulled the gear. Looks like it has been spinning on the shaft. Also a few dinged teeth on the gear. I'd like to replace the gear, thrust washer (worn) and the shouldered shat if runs on if I could find any of them.
Overkill you think?

Attachments

davidb56

Got the bearing and pulled the gear. Looks like it has been spinning on the shaft. Also a few dinged teeth on the gear. I'd like to replace the gear, thrust washer (worn) and the shouldered shat if runs on if I could find any of them.
Overkill you think?
the gear "view" doesn't show us if its wore. Also I got a hard to find gear from Memphis Equipment. the phone number is at the top of this page.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To me, like crap. Trying to determine what to do. Also, the bearing I received is a variation of a 5204KD. It is an outward convergent instead of n inward convergent.
Have no clue what that means and can't find anything on the internet. So I have a message to Timken about the interchangeability. Bummer is it looks like I would have to pull the #1 main cap to change the shaft.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks