• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil pump

reloader64

Is it making noise now? I'm thinking that if it's making noise, you wouldn't be able to hear it over the engine, anyway. Install a mechanical oil pressure gauge, and keep a close eye on it.

Just my opinion.

Scott

jag7720

Well that was sort of the point of m question... I don't know where this sound is coming from.

I just had the tranny rebuilt so I took it back to the shop ... they tore it back open and could only find that the new torque converter was failing... they replaced that plus several bearings and the planetary gears and put it back together... the sound was still there... the trans pump was new on the first rebuild and he said it still looked new.

So I was wondering if the oil pump makes noise when it fails.

The sound is sort of a buzzing whine. It only does it when it is cold... first thing in the morning then when it is cold., then it warms up, about a mile or so, it goes away.

A new oil pump is only $40 or so unless I buy a hi-volume/pressure one off ebay(not really inclined to spend $170)

Thoughts?

reloader64

Again, the oil pump being buried under 10 quarts of oil, and inside a running diesel engine, I think it would be hard to hear. The buzzing whine you describe sounds like a hydraulic pump of some sort. If your transmission checks out OK, check your power steering pump. They are famous for whining when they are cold, or low on oil. Replacing the oil pump would be a tremendous pain in the neck, especially if nothing is wrong with it. I still recommend putting a gauge on it. If your oil pressure is low when you hear the noise, but comes up when it quits, it may be the oil pump. In my limited (backyard mechanic) experience, oil pumps either clog up, fail completely, or keep working. They are pretty sturdy pieces of equipment.

Scott

TyJustice

The oil pumps action is one by a piston/rod being actuated up and down by the crank shaft to pump the oil.

Any failure of the oil pump would not be making the noise you are hearing, as far as a, buzz or a whine. If anything, it would be making a knock type noise.

I would probably do what "reloader64" suggested in his response and I'm sure you'll find what you’re looking for.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The oil pumps action is one by a piston/rod being actuated up and down by the crank shaft to pump the oil.

Any failure of the oil pump would not be making the noise you are hearing, as far as a, buzz or a whine. If anything, it would be making a knock type noise.

I would probably do what "reloader64" suggested in his response and I'm sure you'll find what you’re looking for.
So you are saying the oil pump on a 6.2 is a piston pump and not a gear pump? I've never been into a GM diesel but every other GM engine I've been into had a gear pump. I'm not saying you're not right because I don't know but it just seems odd to have a piston type oil pump.

12vctd

Every 6.2 I have seen is a gear driven oil pump. To try and diagnos the whine you could use a stethascope(spelling) or a wooden dowl or even a screwdriver, place the dowl against the transmission case and you ear see if the noise is amplified there, then check the oil pan and all parts around the motor, this should isolate the area to better diagnose the problem.

jag7720

Well, I went for the oil pump replacement. It was only $35 and it really isn't that hard.

Honestly, I don't know what could really fail in this pump... maybe the spring or pressure relief valve...??

After changing the pump.. the sound is still there. So now I have a spare pump.

Now that it is colder in the morning, it is there all the time until it warms up... and it takes longer for the sound to go away. Once it starts to go away, it shows itself during a shift.

As far as the pwr steering pump... it is not leaking and it is full. The pully has a little front to back play. Tomorrow I thought of taking all the belts off and starting it for a bit to see if the sound is there.

From inside the cab it sounds like it is coming from the trans area... My wife said she could hear it from the porch as I drove off.

Anymore thoughts?

Attachments

Last edited:

reloader64

Taking off the belt is a good idea. If the power steering pump is not turning, and you still get the whine, that sorta rules out the power steering pump. Have you checked for vacuum leaks? (We are grasping at straws, now.)

Scott

blzrgb

Take the few bolts loose from torque converter and flywheel then crank it up and i bet the noise will stop. I'd guess the trans pump from there.

jag7720

Agreed... straws.

@blzrgb - Trans pump is brand new. Replaced when I rebuilt it and inspected when they opened it up for the second time.

Admittedly, I did the hardest thing first... but that seems to be in my nature.

All of my vacuum lines are new. But no, I have not checked for leaks. I have a miti-vac and was going to hook it up but I don't know what the vacuum levels should be... anyone?

Also, the only other thing, other than what is on belts, that is turning IS the vacuum pump.

Straws...

jag7720

Turned out that there was an extra o-ring in the pickup tube that goes from the trans filter to the transmission body... the guy claimed that his book called for two but the TM only shows one.

It was sucking air and causing the pump to make the sound... burned out the torque converter and burned my new clutches... had to be rebuilt a second time.

The oil pump was fine... I replaced it trying to find this sound.

kentuckycucv

Seems like a typical story from a transmission shop. My neighbor had his rebuilt 3 times and each time the shop tried to blame it on something else.
So was the noise from the transmission pump, ore the torque converter? My truck is making the same sound that dissapears when its warm. Im thinking it might be the transmision. It would be great if it was just the torque converter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks