• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil sample valves, how to use

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I saw the connectors under the passenger door a long time ago but I was not sure how to use them.
MAdams mentioned them in one of his videos but I was still not really sure how to use them.

Well, I changed the fluid and filters in my transmission and I put in too much fluid so I thought that maybe I could use the valves to drain the excess. I did some research and it looks like I can drain some fluid and it is easy.

There are two of them, one for engine oil and one for transmission oil. They look like this:

MTVR oil sample port.png

The red arrow points to the output port. That is where the oil will come shooting out. You need to unscrew the little cap that has the chain and then turn the knob to get the oil flowing. The knob is at the top of the photo and it looks like a connector but it is not. Turn the knob 1/4 turn and then it will send the oil out the port. On my truck it was all covered in that silicon crap they brush on everything. So I spent a long time getting that junk off. My output port was pointing down which is good and I thought about putting a hose on there but I will try just holding a gallon jug under there and see how long it takes to fill. The truck should be running because it uses the pressure from the pumps to push the oil out.

I will update this thread with my results.

MAdams

Push in and turn slightly to the right. They are pretty neat valves

Two tips:
1. Put the cap back on after! If a stick, branch or something were to magically jump out and push on that valve while your on a trail... Bad news
2. For the engine side. It's a sample port, not a drain. You are stealing a little oil pressure from the engine while using the valve. I could see how leaving it open for too long(several minutes) could be bad. As for the transmission, no problem.

How did the trans oil change go Jon? Also, have you checked the fluid level while the trans is warm? I filled mine a little low and it took me about 5 times to fill to the correct level. Stop, check, fill, drive a few miles, stop, check, fill...... And so on

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Madams,

My fluid change went pretty well. I made a video about it. I will post it later.

I used the oil sample valve to pull out 2 gallons of fluid and it took about two minutes per gallon so it is fast.

I am not having the best luck using the tranny dip stick to check the level. It is difficult to pull out the long stick and then see where the oil level is. So I am guessing that I am still high on the level.

Two of my buddies stopped by after I changed the tranny fluid and all three of us think it drives better after the change. It is still not perfect so I will try some other things.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks