• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil

FormerNewMVGuy

The multifuelers call for sae 30 weight ,But i notice alot of you run 15-40 rotella t, do you think the rotella is better than the straight 30? I was going to go by the book but now I'm not sure,

El_Guapo

I have all ways used SAE 30 for the summer and 15-40 for the winter in all of my vehicles. The advantage of multigrade oil is the lower viscosity, vs. sae 30, in cold weather.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot of multi-fuel engines coming out of DRMO have had 15-40 painted on the flame heater covers. FWIW
Try a search here for 15-40in the Deuce forum, there have been several threads on this topic.(some real good info has been posted on this) I have the best luck with the search at the top of the page(not the one on the left side).

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One tip, when you drain the oil from the oil pan. Drain it directly into a waste pan(DO NOT try to run it through a funnel) it will come out way to fast! Others here know!!!

dieselolds

I use Pennzoil 15-40 marine all year and its a CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF/SL oil.
I also uses it in my Dodge WC-51, GMC CCKW, Oldsmobile diesel, John Deere diesel, Yale lpg forklift, Lister diesel generator++

If the engine oil gets to 100C it will have the same viscosity as a monograde 40 oil.

tm america

oil changes are expensive in these trucks but you end up with 5.5gals of fuel from doing it so you can deduct the price of 5.5 gals of fuel from the price of an oil change and then the price starts to look better:roll:i use a concrete mixing pan to drain my oil.it.s big enough to do front and rear at once and will hold like 25 gals so no chance of making a mess.i run 15-40 in mine i figure if its good enough for the over the road truckers its good enough for the deuce

Stalwart

I use Shell Rotella-T 15-40 year around.

I have an oil temperature gauge. The oil temp runs about 5 degrees over the water temp or around 185 to 195.
That is just what you want, your oil will get rid of the water at those temperatures and stay much cleaner.

I have the opposite problem in the HEMTT, it takes 20 miles for the trans to get to 130 and 45 miles to get to 180. Even in the summer it takes a while but does eventually get 10 degrees above coolant temp.

THEROAD

My diesel mechanic says 30 wt. His belief is 15-40 increases oil consumption. I run 15-40 in my 3208's; but 30 wt in the deuce.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i use a concrete mixing pan to drain my oil.it.s big enough to do front and rear at once and will hold like 25 gals so no chance of making a mess.
^Great Idea :idea:^ Thanks! I have several of those tubs around, use them for all kinds of things.

LOL i think that depens on the eyes who look at it ;-)
Exactly! For you Old Timers who have been there and done that, please remember that

1. There are new members to the site all the time, and that they might need or want to discuss a subject that you are tired of and already know everything about.

2. There is new information coming available all the time, such as changes in oil, and new tips and tricks lke TM America's tip on using a long tub for catching oil.

3. Oil is just plain fun and interesting for motorheads to discuss :grin:!

Did I mention that I love oil threads?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run John Deere +50 in my Deuce and both of my tractors. I have been very satisfied with the low oil consumption, fast oil pressure build and easier starting in cold weather. My engines all seem to be cleaner inside as well.