• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil

tlarkin530

Just bought a 1967 Kaiser M35A2 w/ a Hercules LDT 465 4D multifuel. I have the technical manual, but can't seem to find specs for oil anywhere. I was planning on changing the oil today, but don't know how much it takes. Put Shell Rotella 15w-40 in my pickup... Will that weight work for this motor as well? How many quarts will I need? Anywhere I can find those type of specs, or am I just missing it in the TM? Thanks!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The capacities are in the manual but like everyone says, 22 quarts and I like Rotella 15w40 for all my diesel engines.

SteveKuhn

Don't forget filters. There are a couple of threads on how NOT to get the drippin's all over everyplace. They tend to hold it if they're stock.

Waited long enuf' for someone else to post:

1. Welcome to the green addiction![thumbzup]

and

2.nopics

I can't believe I got to get that 2nd one in ahead of somebody else 2x in a row.

Steve

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And you can get the TM's here also, go to the resources tab at the top of any page.

rlwm211

First of all, if you are changing the filters, do not run the truck for a day before hand. If you do you will have a huge oil mess when you pull the cannisters.

Second, drain the rear sump first. Have a 5 gallon pail for that one and another pail for the front sump.

If you drain the front first it will be more than the 5 gallon pail will hold. Ask me how I know. If it does not go over it will be so full you will not be able to do much with it without making a royal mess.

22 quarts is on the money. I have run Rotella 15w40 and also the tractor Supply brand which is refined in America by Warren Distributing Omaha Nebraska. They provide a lot of the generic or store brand oils for Advance Auto, as well as Wallyworld and others.

Read the manuals and start with the operator manual as it will offer a lot of what you need to know right away.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The data tag on your dash, above the map compartment, has the capacity specs and TM numbers for your truck.

dburt

If Rotella is not available in your area or store where you shop, Chevron Dello 400 in 15/40 is designed for HD diesel apps as well. Depending on how you intend to drive it, in what conditions and temps, etc then you might do as some folks do and add a couple of quarts of Lucas oil stabilizer or some such additive in place of two of the quarts of oil. Many serious pro drag racers, off-road gonzo race truck drivers, and HD diesel engined equipment operators like Lucas products.
They tend to reduce cold start up wear, help the oil maintain viscosity and HD lube characteristics as the normal oil looses it's 'goodie' as it ages and deteriorates thru use.

mcmullag

let's keep it moving....

Come on, torque specs for the oil drainage bolts? There may be, but these things ain't flying over the ocean for several hours like a 747 or sumthin.
Get a torque wrench out for important stuff like head bolts, crakshaft bolts, flywheel bolts, etc.
Don't sweat the small stuff and don't touch the sweaty stuff. :beer: