• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oiling The Air Pack

dabtl

Looking in the TM's it appears the deuce air pack needs some lube in the air piston chamber.

The lubrication hole is on the rear plate, a square head plug.

I have struggled to get something on it to loosen it, messed up the plug and pulled the air line off to put tool oil in the cylinder.

Now, that I have undertaken to rebuild three of these large air packs the process gets much simpler as I learn.

Want to make oiling a snap? Go to Sears and get a 5/16 eight point socket. Put it on the ratchet and remove the plug with ease. Add oil. Screw back into place.

Bill W

I oiled my airpac chamber on my last deuce with a couple of oz's of silicone brake fluid, I was told to use the silicone by a old deucer., he stated the old dot 3 setup required oht but with Dot 5 it was different., Its been 8 years since I first did it and about 5 since I last added it and that deuce is still braking strong, anyone else try/use or heard of this method.

P.S.dabtl did you get my order/ paypal payment for the plate??

dabtl

It should go out tomorrow. It rained here until we got webbed feet. As I only have a pick up to move it around, I waited until today to pick the last of the lot up from the shop.

I also have found grease in one of the air packs I am rebuilding. Some kind of white grease, I do not think lithium. There may have been many methods tried over the years on these things.

Bill W

"It should go out tomorrow."

No problem
I just wanted to make sure everything went through, my now bedless deuce is in the barn with the rear axles up in the air,I'm starting repairs aft and working forward so it'll be awhile before I get to the winch:|

dabtl

I have a law office, not a warehouse. I also have a client in the metal business who has a warehouse and not a law office. I keep my stuff there.:wink: So, when it rains I sit around on the computer waiting to pick stuff up. When it is raining he is working, and when it is sunny, he is working. When it is sunny I pick up.

Amer-team

Help! Was following the advice to lube the airpack and when I pulled the plug out of the back of the airpack, water came out.

Yes I do bleed the air tank every time that I shut it off, but when I got the truck, the air tank had to be half full of water.

Is there a way to get any other water out of there or should I leave it and put what oil in that I can?

jimm1009

I must have a newer style air pack as I do not have any plugs on the rear at all. Only the drilled and tapped center hole for mounting support as the rear.
Is there an alternate method for these styles?
jimm1009

Flyingvan911

How much airtool oil do you put in the airpack? The white grease in the airpack might be used to lube rubber o-rings. Molycoat is usually used in railroad airbrake valves and it last for years.

Amer-team

I ended up using the compressor to blow out extra moisture.

Then put in between 1 and 1 1/2 ounces of Marvel mystery oil per other threads on this issue. Put everything back together and it seems to still work. Now I know what to do with the airpack and when, so will keep an eye on it.

Thanks all for the help.

jimmcld

I ended up using the compressor to blow out extra moisture.

Then put in between 1 and 1 1/2 ounces of Marvel mystery oil per other threads on this issue. Put everything back together and it seems to still work. Now I know what to do with the airpack and when, so will keep an eye on it.

Thanks all for the help.

I used Mystery oil on a bunch of pneumatic tools some years ago. It gummed up and ate up all of the o-rings.

Amer-team

Thank you for the tip on the Mystery oil. I will try to keep an eye on it.

It has to work better than the water that was in there. Took it out this morning and it seemed to perform fine in the brake department.

FormerNewMVGuy

Actually, the proper oil to use is OHT C-635 light hydraulic oil, I know for a fact that sprucemt surplus carries it and our own member EMR has a quantity of it also, This is what the TM calls for and it is what i use in all my airpacks

jwaller

I've put 20k miles on my deuce and air tool oil is working great, not a single brake problem so far. use what you want just make sure it works bc with a single circuit system there is no room for error.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks