• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OK a little help,,, pump and roll on a fire truck that does not really allow for that

scootertrs

How do we make it work efficiently. I have 500 gal of water and 50 gal of foam... an awesome weapon... If I could pump and roll... any ideas?

I need those that have some experience to talk to me... I want to minimize expense and maximise results... Sometimes you need to be able to get in and out with your own water source. It would really be a nice option, just to make our sites safer... we don't leave much room for error!!!

Last edited:

Dunegoon

You have to use a stand alone pump and motor. Maybe you could T off the suction side of the tank and switch it from the PTO driven pump to the stand alone pump. Our department just finished converting an M35A3 to a brush pumper with 900 gallon tank. I spent 17 hours in it yesterday and it kicked butt!

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
You can do it off the pto just watch your rpm's . On brush fires we put a guy in the back off the 4x4 brush truck and just dont over rev the pto.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Years ago, I was on the Volunteer Fire Dept. I remember training sessions where they called it a "road Pump". You went through a separate procedure. - Its probably like described above.

scootertrs

You have to use a stand alone pump and motor. Maybe you could T off the suction side of the tank and switch it from the PTO driven pump to the stand alone pump. Our department just finished converting an M35A3 to a brush pumper with 900 gallon tank. I spent 17 hours in it yesterday and it kicked butt!

Know what??? could that be the reason that they have a 24V electric OD green pump in the back of the truck with a short suction line sitting on top of the tank? looks like it was never used... but truck brought the pump and the 24V cable with one big lug in the center.??/ maybe that is how they got around it... tank had a hole cut into its top... HMMM begining to make sense...

scootertrs

17 hours huh??? Wow... I just went for a 3 hour spin and cannot hear myself think... Wow she is loud... reminds me of a girl I once knew.... (Stop it... she was not loud that way../.:( I wish!!!) this one was just loud... you know the type... Good morning sounded a lot like... reveille:D...

Dunegoon

We have headsets for our radios, that makes a big difference. the A3's have nufflers which helps too. Still burning after 3 days. Started out as a controlled burn, then got out of control. Right at 2000 acres now. Not trying to change the subject but we mounted a pump/motor combo that has cab mount engine controls and it works great. maybe you could tap into the tank in another spot or tee off the suction that is already there. Then you run the small engine for pump and drive and the PTO for the bigger stuff.

scootertrs

We have headsets for our radios, that makes a big difference. the A3's have nufflers which helps too. Still burning after 3 days. Started out as a controlled burn, then got out of control. Right at 2000 acres now. Not trying to change the subject but we mounted a pump/motor combo that has cab mount engine controls and it works great. maybe you could tap into the tank in another spot or tee off the suction that is already there. Then you run the small engine for pump and drive and the PTO for the bigger stuff.
You know... I have worked more than one "controlled burn" that got out of hand. Honestly, mother nature sometimes just does not take kindly to "control". I will try the electric pump first... looks solid enough... but probably only good for about 20-50 GPM... I suppose that a 500GPM pump on a 500 Gal tank... through a 250 GPM spout would run out rather quickly...

I do not know if the pto is disconnected when you switch into high or low on the transfer case... gotta try that

either way, our prayers are with you, good luck... make sure you come back next time out! Remember, the best hero is the one that does his job yet lives to fight that other fire.

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have used the 24 volt pump set up on a 600 gallon tank. it runs a short 1" line with a 24 GPM nozzle no problem. good for a quick hit and run and like you said save the 500 gpm for the big stuff

satcombinky

Ok here is the deal. you can do this one of two ways. a stand alone pump unit( very low volume). or a modern pto driven pump( these units are available upwards of 100GPM). i would recommend the PTO option

jasonjc

I like the 24volt pump it would be alot easyer. The 530C truck does have pump and roll. Read TM 5-4210-217-12 sec 2-11 Pumping from water tank-pump and roll mode. My copy is hard to read but it tells you step by step how to do it. If I had the choice I'd use the 24 volt pump thought. It would be alot simpler and less chance for damage.

scootertrs

As stated- one of the nice features of this, is the pump and roll capability.
You're not planning to fill up from somewhere, and run, are you??
Well.. Yeah... that is sort of the idea... The plan is (or was) once the tank was full, you could have 2 hand lines in use while the truck moved near the fire... If you use the transfer case pto pump as set up now... your truck will be in transfer neutral... and stopped... Looks like I am going to have to use the 24V pump... or just stop while pump is in use

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We used a 24 volt pump from the fuel transfer set up (you know the one that goes with the 600 gal tanks that has 2 reels and a pump in the middle and reduced it down to 1") Also you could mount almost any portable pump on top or under the truck. Truck in my Avatar has A 250 gpm hale pump mounted on the side. you could mount it on top or on back step.just and idea

scootertrs

I have a friend that suggested running the pump through the crankshaft pulley... you know... punch a hole in the radiator... place 2 pillow blocks... mount it in the front of the truck (he actually has a deuce where the front bumper sticks out 4 feet or so) where the 500 GPM hale pump lives...

Nice idea, but I am not thrilled about punching a hole in my now not leaking radiator, giving up my winch and having my bumper stick out another 3-4 feet... already have issues with the winch extension... would probably end up resting my bumper on a mini or a smart... not necessarily a "bad" thing, ;) but would probably affect my insurance rates negatively.

Another option would be to go all hydraulic... midship pump, winch and front pump... but money gets in the way... maybe if my stimulus check comes in...:?

looks like the 24V option is still ahead

thanks

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not understanding the problem here. The pump will still pump with the t-case in gear. Why can't you "pump and roll" with the stock setup?

I know most civilain firetrucks run the pump off of the main driveshaft and you can't pump and roll but the deuce isn't set up that way. I know I've got my dump hyd pump running off of a t-case pto and the pto will work with the truck moving.

RSOVRanger

Well.. Yeah... that is sort of the idea... The plan is (or was) once the tank was full, you could have 2 hand lines in use while the truck moved near the fire...
Moving, while you have handlines deployed?

That really, really sounds like a bad idea...

Pump and roll is done more effectively with a bumper turret, IMHO... but, you don't have a big enough booster tank onboard to really be able to use it for long anyway.

I think you're better served stopping and using a good GPM PTO pump, accurate placement of wet stuff on red stuff with handlines... with a medium size deck gun for more aggressive attack if you can swing a nurse tanker.

In any case, don't forget that you want to be positioned to be able to run if things get out of hand.

That's why I really don't even like the sound of trying to move while having deployed handlines.. best case, you run one over and you just lost your hose (putting the FF at the nozzle in danger) worst case you damage the engine when it rips off as well as getting it wrapped up around running gear.