• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ok... Back To 11X20 Wheels...

devilman96

I've had a few guys bugging the snot out of me on this ordeal and I just have not had the time to even bolt one of these on the truck since having them made.

To catch everyone up to speed on the previous threads...

I set out to see about producing some wheels for M35 singles... I did a survey here to see what everyone wanted and did some numbers on cost... blah blah blah blah... I got a set of prototypes made up...

Since doing so I never bothered to bolt them on the truck... The store, my clutch, life, a divorce, this, that... ugh... So today rather than my usually routine of working on the trucks punch out list while saying I will fit the wheels when I am closing up tonight (which never happens because I am dead tired) I figured I would bolt them up first thing...

There was some debate about weather or not the rim used would clear the brake drum... and if so weather or not it would clear the brake backing plate the shoes mount to... Zero problems... as a matter of fact I've got about a 1/2 gap all the way around, which I think is about perfect when it comes to visual appeal!!!

These were designed by Gerhard... The idea was a one piece wheel to get away from the current 2 piece designs and their balancing / out of round issues to run 395's which didn't require flipping hubs... OR if you had flipped hubs wouldn't make any difference.... I have to say they fit quite nice!

395's are 46" tall by 15" wide and is often regarded as the ultimate super single for a deuce as it doesn't require lifting the truck and doesn't give the HP issues that the 50 and 52 inch tires do...

Im going to go back and see about a dropped center on a different version of these but if anyone is interested in the current design I am calling it off road only... Now... if one wanted to say ... go 65mph off road with these they need to be spun and weighted before mounting tires then rebalanced... This will keep the final balancing weight down to a minimum when doing the tires. I personally can not do this (i.e. sell them pre balanced) as doing so would proably imply on road use which for obvious legal reasons I can not suggest.

My next move will be to relocate the valve stem holes too in between the spiders (which will be where any future production wheels will have them located) and do some balancing...

The data on materials is...

.500 center plate, laser cut
computer welded
11x20 inch rim
run out (side wobble) .060 average... (the 2 stock wheels I measured were over .100)
weight 65lbs

On a side note I have brand new G20 tires which are more or less the the same size as the 395-85X20 or 15.5 80R 20 for 85$ each... (yes really)...

Attachments

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
will they track the same as an a3, and i would assume you would have to flip rear hubs to do so?? projected price? how many tires do you have

devilman96

No hub flip required to get the right tracking... and if they are flipped it makes no diffrence.... Its within about 1-2 inchs ether way...

Tires... over 200...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
So..........................will these go into production?
If so...............when. And how much?
They look good and the one piece design beats the old split ring rim hands down.
Thats a good price on the tires too.
Keep us posted.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vary nicely made! But sorry to hear of your troubles. tell me about the laser cutting, do you do this?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well Mike, finally......! It was about time! :D
Very good to know there aren't any interference issues!

Before starting production of a flat center disc I would consider reducing the cutouts to the original size of the deuce wheel. Maybe even move them a bit to the center to have full contact between center and rim and weld 360º but just one side.
See photo shop pic.

For a wheel manufacturing company, hot-stamping a drop center plate very similar to the one on the deuce wheel should be possible at a reasonable cost. It would look much better and also increase flexibility.
Attached is a drawing which shows what I have in mind.
The poor man's solution would be cutting the original center out of a deuce wheel and weld it into the new rim. Certainly not for beginners....!

Gerhard

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Ok... Back To 11X20 Wheels...

m-35tom said:
will they track the same as an a3, and i would assume you would have to flip rear hubs to do so??
Yes, track width is the same front and rears. With rear hubs not flipped the wheels on the rear axles have to be mounted "dished out".
Distance between wheel or tire centerlines is 75" compared to the M35A3 with about 71".

G.

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: Re: RE: Ok... Back To 11X20 Wheels...

oh yea,that is the worst place you can put hte valve stem hole too!Just asking for a sheered off Valve stem.I would put it in one of the holes so it is pointing towards the center instead of hanging out of the rim.

devilman96

Before starting production of a flat center disc I would consider reducing the cutouts to the original size of the deuce wheel. Maybe even move them a bit to the center to have full contact between center and rim and weld 360º but just one side.
See photo shop pic.
They were actually susposed to be smaller than they are... I gave the bone heads exact dementions and photos even... Ya see what I got in return lol... Good help is hard to find!

oh yea,that is the worst place you can put hte valve stem hole too!Just asking for a sheered off Valve stem.I would put it in one of the holes so it is pointing towards the center instead of hanging out of the rim.
See my above answer... (in reguards to bone heads).... Im gonna tig these up and redrill them.

houdel

OD Iron - We are still looking for pricing on you wheels - even a rough guesstimate?

Gerhard - Your thoughts on wheel bearing loading with these wheels - both dish in and dish out?

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Ok... Back To 11X20 Wheels...

mmmmm.Chrome wheels.Dual chrome 5" stacks.dual stainless air cleaners.Texas bumper up front.Dual chrome trumpets on the roof.........

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Ok... Back To 11X20 Wheels...

Polished diamond tread steps.Stainless pannels between the bed ribs.Stainless tail light panels.Polsihed aluminum round fuel tank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks