• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ok guys need some help with the cucv

on1wheel01

Ok first of all I have owned her for a few months. It has always smoked a bit at start up especially when engine is cold looks like a bluish smoke and smells of unburnt diesel fuel. But then seemed to go away mostly. I have started to run W80 through it and at first it went well blending half W80 half regular diesel. But it has started to smoke more now which I figure could be due to the W80, but it just seems excessive and I seem to have lost a little power(not that it had much to begin with lol). Just wondering if anyone could help shed some light on it. The engine sounds great just as it did before. I have been trying to do some reading before I asked this. I have so far put in a new fuel filter also. I read maybe its the cdr valve and others have had this problem and it fixed it. Truck is stock minus open exhaust has cherry bomb mufflers but I imagine they are hollow as they look pretty old and it's extremely loud. Thoughts?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you saying the smoke clears after it has started?

The smell of unburnt fuel at startup, is a good indicator that you have 1 or more bad glow plugs.

on1wheel01

Well it still smokes for a bit lets say a few minutes. But now it's smoking just sitting even if warm which maybe is due to W80. A bad glow plug was also a possibility I thought but Im so afraid to take them out and test due to horror stories I have heard of them breaking off.

But none the less I need to test them. Going to wait on the engine to cool off a little then go test resistance.

Last edited:

on1wheel01

Ok with glow plugs still installed I checked resistance. Everyone gave me right at 1.3 ohm. Which seems fine since the tm says 1-3 is optimal. So at least this is good. Now to test for power to plugs. Will report back

How does it start? Does it crank for a long time or start rough? Smoking for a while after start-up is usually glowplugs, but could also be caused by fuel line leaks.

You don't have to be too worried about removing plugs. Just try taking the plugs out, and if they don't come out easily then get a removal tool. When I got my truck, 7 of the 8 plugs were swollen, I got a GP extractor from leroydiesel (formerly PMD cable), it worked awesome (JJ&A racing also has the same style of remover).

Is it smoking greyish after it warms up?

Smoking while it's warm usually means it's something more than glowplugs. You should try running it on pure diesel to take W80/mixture out of the equation.

on1wheel01

Ok if I take my volt meter and ground one end attach the other to the plug in for the glow plug I get nothing at all. Seems maybe a bad controller, but if this was the case the truck wouldn't start right?

It cranks great, once the wait light is off(which is usually pretty quick) I turn the key and right away she comes to life. It has started to be a little rough once cranked but I tap the throttle lightly and that clears up.
I am going to get all the W80 out of the tank and see how it does. Bad thing is I have 3/4 a tank lol. I'd say 35% W80 the rest is D2. This tank will likely last me a week and a half to 2 weeks.

Also I really appreciate the help you guys are trying to give me. I have done quite a bit of searching as I didn't want to make another noob thread like many of those that I have seen where no research is done/

Also I just took off the oil cap while engine running, some light smoke / haze is coming out. Seems this is normal?

Last edited:

on1wheel01

Drove her to work today. Sitting at idle shes throwing out smoke more than usual. But not much when running other than st start and full throttle. Maybe it's normal **** I don't know don't have any comparison to go on

I doubt it would be the controller, with no plugs at all the only way to start it would be to crank for several minutes.

Another way to test the glowplugs is to:
Turn the key off, unplug all the GPs.
Attach a test light (or your multimeter) to battery positive and with the other end/negative cable touch the spade of each GP.
If the test light comes on, or your multimeter shows battery voltage, the plug is good (repeat for each GP)

A little smoke/haze coming out of the oil filler neck is normal.

As a comparison, my truck hardly smokes at all after cold start-up (unless its below freezing). Just a little, barely noticeable grey haze, and it goes away within the first minute or so of starting. And I think the only reason it even smokes that much is because I mix a little two-stroke oil in with the diesel. Once it kicks out of high idle, it doesn't smoke at all at normal idle or driving.

I don't know much about running the trucks with W80... But from some of the things I've read about using waste oils (veg or motor) sometimes a "bad batch" will cause smoking problems. Some guys on SS do run WMO/WVO/Bio, maybe they will chime in. Or you could search for WMO/WVO threads.

Another thing to look into would be replacing the fuel filter. I know running alternative fuels can really clean out or gum-up the fuel system thereby plugging up the fuel filter. A plugged fuel filter can mess with the truck.

cpf240

Another way to test the glowplugs is to:
Turn the key off, unplug all the GPs.
Attach a test light (or your multimeter) to battery positive and with the other end/negative cable touch the spade of each GP.
If the test light comes on, or your multimeter shows battery voltage, the plug is good (repeat for each GP)
Unless the glow plug is shorted...

on1wheel01

Replaced fuel filter already. Seemed to be the same maybe smoke more after the switch. A bad batch could be possible. Hopefully this goes away. I bought a hydrometer to help test the w80. So will test it when it comes in. I will test the gps again with that method.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When was the last time you took it out for a long hard drive? Sometimes the injectors will coke up and not burn the fuel correctly.

on1wheel01

Well longest drive is usually 10-15 minutes to be honest. Mostly a in town vehicle as I don't leave town much lol.
Doing more and more research I have found cases where some got a bad batch of w80 and caused white / blue smoke and loss of power, they ran the tank out then pure D2 and no more problem. Hopefully this is my case.

Last edited:

cpf240

Well longest drive is usually 10-15 minutes to be honest. Mostly a in town vehicle as I don't leave town much lol
That is rough on just about any engine. Try taking it out for a nice highway cruise. Let it get good and warm all over. I'd suggest one of the additives to clean the injectors, but that is a whole 'nother thread covered many times.

Hasdrubal

The W80 is a small thermonuclear warhead (fusion weapon) in the enduring stockpile with a variable yield of between 5 and 150 kt of TNT. It was designed for deployment on cruise missiles and is the warhead used in the majority of nuclear-armed US Air Force ALCM and ACM missiles, and their US Navy counterpart, the BGM-109 Tomahawk. It is essentially a modification of the widely deployed B61 weapon, which forms the basis of most of the current US stockpile.

MarcusOReallyus

That is rough on just about any engine. Try taking it out for a nice highway cruise. Let it get good and warm all over. I'd suggest one of the additives to clean the injectors, but that is a whole 'nother thread covered many times.

Yep. Gas, diesel, whatever. Those short runs are engine killers. You really need to get in at least a good 30 minute run once a month, and that's a bare minimum.

And change your oil more often than recommended. Short runs don't get the oil warm enough to burn out moisture.

on1wheel01

Well down to a 1/4 tank, gonna let it drop a bit more then add in some D2. Been reading some people had problems clogging the injector nozzle running too much bio diesel. Who knows.

I belive W80 is biodiesel.

WMO- waste motor oil

WVO- waste vegetable oil
Yeah, from the research I did when I read the OP's post. W80 is 80% waste oil, 20% gas/diesel/kerosene, W85 is 85/15.

on1wheel01 said:
Well down to a 1/4 tank, gonna let it drop a bit more then add in some D2. Been reading some people had problems clogging the injector nozzle running too much bio diesel. Who knows.
Yeah, maybe if you messed up your mixture, and added a little too much oil... I would think that could cause it to smoke more than normal.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks