• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ok guys need some help with the cucv

on1wheel01

Ok guys added diesel only to it. Does seem to run better. But all of power is not there . Also yesterday it started to idle a few hundred rpm higher in park and in gear. I did notice I may have a leaking fuel line slightly at the filter. So gonna look into that maybe air leak causing trouble.

Keith_J

80% waste motor oil and the rest diesel? That is hard on the injection pump. The viscosity causes excessive stress on the plunger/cam ring. Also, it causes all sorts of problems with injection quantity. Finally, it is dirty oil unless you have some very specialized filtration equipment. The dirt can cause injectors to wear which will cause smoking. Waste oil is much harder to atomize which slows the heating of the precombustion/swirl chamber. The unburnt oil will find its way to the crown gap of the piston where it won't burn. But smoke, much like failing oil control rings. This oil in the top ring can cause sticking compression rings as motor oils have considerable ash.

KevinsM1009

Very Good Info, Has helped me with my Glow vs Fuel issues, think I may need a new solenoid cause the module engages, but I can hear the solenoid on the firewall cycling 3-6 times more than used to. The pump diesel is all I can get and that takes about 2 cans of Liqui-Moly GmBh Lubro-Moly Diesel Fuel Additive to stop the Injector noise. Over on DieselPlace they have some Lubricity studies that they posted from a few years ago all about the Micron scoring potentials for many different Fuel mixtures. Maybe some reading and experimenting will help you figure out your trucks needs.

Last edited:

NCBloodhound

Have you checked the timing on your pump? My truck had similar symptoms and I found that the timing was retarded quite a bit. Check the witness marks on the IP and see if they are lined up. I believe if the line on the pump is to the left it is retarded, but check the tech manual to make sure.

NCBloodhound

Never thought to check the ip timing. Will look at that. I'll do some research and see what all to and where to look.
When I first got mine it was smoking a lot. I even had a guy in a convertible BMW pull up next to me and yell at me for smoking him out. You couldn't see the smoke much but you sure could smell it. As soon as I advanced the timing just past the witness mark it ran so much better. It was really sluggish going up hills too. Good luck!

I noticed you are just up the road from me. If you ever see an M1008 in Ballantyne it is probably me. I love parking that thing next to their fancy golf course. :tank:

on1wheel01

Thanks for the suggestions will check it out hopefully today when I wake up(work nights). Yea its horrible going up any kind of incline

Said screw it while drinking my morning sleep aid lol. The timing was a hair or two to passenger which is retarded. SO I shall advance it slightly and see how things go. Thanks again!!
And I will be on the look out. So far I have only seen a sand color m1008 in my town. None others around.

Last edited:

sierrajcharlie

Well I took the three 15mm and got them loose but the ip won't budge tried tapping with a hammer and nada
On the IP there are a couple of unthreaded bolt holes, one below the passenger side nut and one slightly above it. If I remember right they were 3/8" You can use a pliers to put a bolt in each hole. Find bolts that are short enough to stay in the holes but long enough to be able to use. Then you can use a big screwdriver or something like between them, to get a little more leverage, to turn the pump. That was the only way I found to get mine to turn, just don't get crazy with the pressure. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

on1wheel01

Ok guys I got the timing adjusted just took some elbow grease. About to take her for a spin but still seems to smoke at idle. I'm wondering if the fuel has possibly been turned up any and maybe this would cause excessive smoke.

NCBloodhound

Ok guys I got the timing adjusted just took some elbow grease. About to take her for a spin but still seems to smoke at idle. I'm wondering if the fuel has possibly been turned up any and maybe this would cause excessive smoke.
Are you pressing the gas pedal after startup to kick it into high idle? Are you letting it warm up and hear it go back to slow idle after a little while? Is the smoke different between high and low idle?

on1wheel01

Well guys their shall be no more tinkering with it. I threw it on cl and a guy came and snagged it up. I loved driving it. But the lack of power and getting out of its own way or lack of I just got tired of. Was a blast. I am still planning on picking up a deuce eventually. So I will hang around here. Thanks for all the help given.