• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OK I got her home!

cbturf

This is gonna be a pretty long start to this thread because I have a lot to say about my new baby and our first adventure!

First off about the truck. I think I got a good one! Like I said earlier it did not even have to go on a battery charger to get it running. There were several other "clues" that make me think I really got a mechanical winner. The most obvious one is the fact that I just drove it over 2900 miles last week to include a trek across southern Arizona and the even hotter central Oklahoma and she did not so much as sneeze at the heat. It was a very balmy 113 according to Weather.com when I passed through Wednesday. The final push home I did not stop except to get fuel and check the oil.

To get the truck ready I had safe Autocare pick it up and do the things I could not do in a roadside emergency. I was afraid of old grease to I had them clean and re-pack all of the wheel bearings. They added a tranny cooler because I planned to pull my trailer home from NM. They also serviced the transfer case and rear end for me. The belts and hoses are new and in great shape. It had a hang tag on the top radiator hose of 8-23-2010.

One stop in New Mexico I noticed a lovely red puddle forming under the front end. Since I had a tranny cooler added I did not panic and pulled the flashlight out and found that one of the lines had sprung a small leak. So I dug through the toolbox found a 1/2 open end wrench and a few F-Bombs a couple burns and other assorted profanity I had the line tightened up and wiped clean. About 1200 miles since then and not so much as another drip.

The truck starts as good as my 2011 6.7 Powerstroke! I barely touch the key and it is running. It drives beautifully also, even though I was only running 55 mph max there were no shakes or shimmies and it drove straight and good enough that I could use my knee to steer and still work a cheeseburger.

I has plenty of power for what it is. I do not plan to add anything except 33 inch tires and maybe 2 1/2 inches of lift for looks. In the pics you can see the mountain Sierra Blanca. She tops out at 12,001 feet and the truck went to the base of the ski area which is well over 10,000 feet and pulled herself around fine. The climb up to Cloudcroft from Alamogordo gains over 6000 feet in 16 miles (thats steep) and there are flat spots and the truck just black smoked a little more and ran 50 mph all the way to the top of over 9000 feet. Long story short power is fine for what I want even at very high elevations.

When I got home I dove underneath and found a great surprise, or the surprise is what I didn't find...no rust! none zip zero. There is a spot or two on the body metal but none has eaten through.

The next nice discovery was all of the new wiring. All of the wires seem either brand new or pretty new. I could hardly believe this and had to take some pics. It has a 24V Solargizer and the batteries are great. One little scare that I had just gave me even more confidence in the truck. I pulled into a Loves travel store in Clovis New Mexico and went inside and paid for the fuel and put about 16 gallons in her. It was 1:00 AM and I did not notice that the only fuel they were selling was B20. I know the truck will nearly run on cow pee so not worried other than the fact that B20 will disolve EVERYTHING in the fuel tank and clog filters. I just resigned myself to the fact that I was in store for a middle of the night roadside fuel filter change. The filter change never happened! the B20 never lets me down so I can only assume that the fuel tank is very clean also. I can see that the skid plate has been recently removed so I am guessing that it is either freshly cleaned or new fuel tank.

I have already been on the phone to nostalgic air and the AC kit will not be in until the end of the month or maybe later. It WILL have AC before next year!! As I sit here waiting for the pics to load I also wanted to mention how this truck and trip has led me to focus on my church life too...If the devil keeps his place half as hot as Oklahoma I want no part of it!! also don't you guys love the flowery suitcase I had to use, it got in the photo over the Mississippi river. Thought about photoshopping it out but I am married, some of you guys have had to do worse things than carry a flowery suitcase.

Attachments

Last edited:

cbturf

Nope not me, that is the next owner of the truck. After I drove from 10 PM Wednesday night to 4 PM Thursday he made me leave the nice new 2011 AIR CONDITIONED F150 sitting where it was and drive the "camo truck" as we named it (everything has a name in our house) to football practice. I don't see the 150 getting many new miles on her even my 7 year old daughter loves the new truck.

ctmustang

Nice job. I'm glad the recovery went well. I love lond distance recoveries but don't think I'll be making anymore as I have enough toys to keep me busy for a long time and the long recoveries were always in deuces. Nice truck-ENJOY
CT:beer:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I,m still curious about the gooseneck deal. Was the truck obtained from the gov't with a ball.in the bed?

cbturf

Sorry I forgot to address your gooseneck question when I was in NM. For the past four years I had been working out in NM and AZ and I had a buddy that was going to install it for me there. It DID NOT come from GL with the gooseneck hitch.

As for the "doing something right" comment I had a little money but I was doing everything WRONG! I had several trucks a bunch of great big machines but I was on the road a minimum of five nights a week and my wife was like a single mother. We took our kids out of private school sold our house and moved to a small one in a great neighborhood, I sold the 2008 F350 and the 2011 F550 all of the machines and the gooseneck trailer and now I am looking for a "regular" job where I can stay home. I bought the F150 and the CUCV was $1800 plus the work in Las Vegas to get it ready for my trip.

So as to your comment about doing something right I am now, but for most of my adult life I haven't. I drove all day and dight Thursday just to make football practice!

cbturf

Well I have not even driven the F150 in two weeks today. The 1008 is an awesome truck and I really do love it so it will shock everyone when I ask "WHO WANTS IT!" I was just out sitting by the koi pond and the wife asked me if I was done bringing toys home and I sent up a test ballon on a bobbed duece. Since I sold my gooseneck trailer it would mean minimal cash out and she had a few questions so we visited 100dollarman.com and when she saw the bobbed duece she actually said "I want that" not meaning her but us. when she asked if it would make a good hunt truck, that is how I sold her on the 08 I told her it would be great, who knows how I will get a deer up in the bed but not my concern right now. Her only request is that I only keep one big camo truck around the house until the garage addition is complete. I will get another 08 in the future, will probably never find one as good as this one though not straight from GL anyway, but the A3s are coming out en-masse right now and I can hopefully get one on the cheap. PM me with any interest.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks