• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ok i know i may be slighty insane but....

maritimer

well around here there aint much fun to be had, not enough 4x4 trails. hard to find someplace safe to shoot, and the local RCMP dont like you drag racing down main street for some reason lol.

so i figure the county fair is in early augest and they have truck pulls and since my landlord and a couple other tennets run trucks i might as well play around and give er a try with my only truck, it just so happens its my M1009 *the green meanie* now i know everyone says they arnt worth a snot for pull trucks but hey its only once or twice and its for fun lol. so anyhow my landlord has a nice little pit down back with a purpose built sled* a bigg steal box sitting on the ground with some chains on it* to test out his pull trucks it has a few thou pounds of rock in it and so far i can pull it about 40ft from a dead stop tahts without any mods or stripping any weight *rear cap, rear seat, etc*.
so what can i safely do to give this truck some more oomph that isnt gonna blow it up. and if i turn the fuel screw up jus ta bit past the 1/4 turn for just the pull how bad is that gonna be for the engine?
now i relize my little green beast aint gonna be winning any prizes but i jus twanna get out there and have a little bit of fun cheaply lol what you guys think

CCATLETT1984

yes upping the fuel would be bad, you really need to get a pyrometer on that engine so you dont melt a piston from too high exhaust temps. really that only way to add power is to put a turbocharger on the engnine, no "quick" or "cheap" power adders for a diesel.

Elwenil

In my opinion that's just a bad platform to begin with. Most pulling trucks I have seen are long wheelbase and have at least 1 ton axles. The M1009 has very weak axles for a truck and the engine isn't known for raw power or durability. If it were me, I'd be looking for something like a 1989 and up 3/4 or 1 ton Dodge with the Cummins and automatic transmission, but I'm a Mopar guy, lol.

maritimer

yes lol well in time i will likely build a decent truck for pulling but just thought for the one or 2 days of pulling at the fair might be worth the chits and giggles. as for platform well besides axles the guys here except for the ones with the door stickers all run short wheel base trucks

Starlight

Hey man ! Wait till we get up there !! Be there soon after baby is born. The Ox pull is fun to watch too ! See you soon, T and Meg P.S. Maybe we could load up the bed of the M1008 and put her in ??

maritimer

M1075 said:
Just be sure to post some pics after the carnage!
the girlfriend is gonna be video taping from the pits and i will be video taping from in the cab, should at least make for an interest5ing video clip LOL and if something breaks meh oh well need a reason to buy heavier duty stuff for it LOL

maritimer

looking forward to it, hey if you want to put your 1008 in you wont need to weight the bed its got the gearing and torque to do a decent pull as is. in fact you may want to strip some weight off it as they load on percentage of weight from what i am told.

Smokindieseldually

The guy asked a question,give him an answer! For a few simple fun pulls,Start by letting that 6.2L breathe,flip the air clleaner lid,pull it off or do watever is you gotta do...next pull that trashcan size muffler off and scrap it,replace with a straight pull of pipe(who needs backpressure on a diesel engine anyway) last but not least crank up the fuel rate in a responsible matter,this site being what it is, im sure if you read through past threads you'll find a good baseline setting for the screw on your injection pump...letting that motor breath will lower your egt's enough to increase your fuel rate for a few runs as long has your smart about it,but if you plan to keep that motor alive for long term use set your self up with a pyrometer...set your tire pressure according to your own personal preference.If you have kept up on your preventve maintenance the rest of your drivetrain will hold up just fine for casual pulling like you intend to do.If it's within your budget for your truck go on down to lordco,napa or even a farm tractor supply and pick yourself up a pyrometer gauge and a probe,spend the ten minutes it takes to install it and maximize your fuel rate to the highest temp's your comfortable with.Then get out there and have fun,thats what it's all about aint it?

maritimer

thanks for the advice smokindiesel, well for breathing i the exhaust was swaped to duel cherry bomb straight throughs awhile back, the air filter house has been modded so that it feeds from a 3" hole in the front passenger fender through a 3" pipe to the original filter housing *still gotta get the snorkel made LOL*. fuel was turned up 1/8th a turn at the pump screw but no obvious signs of high EGT's as of yet *even at hammer down no smoke* got a buddy looking through his scrap pile * bunch of big rigs in various states of ageing LOL* for a pyrometer to use in the beast. dpending on what the EGT's read i might be able to turn the fuel just a tad more, and bump the timing a bit advanced. as for gears going kablooey well i needed a good reason to go to 3.73's LOL. i know this truck cant safely roll the coal liek them fancy new trucks but meh its about making noise and having fun at the same time anyway LOL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks