• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OK, I took the plunge!

michael757767

We own a aircraft recovery business out here in Oregon. A friend who works with me, and whom I've learned a lot from, called me a few weeks ago about a duce that was for sale. A friend of his has an aviation museum, and had lost their lease, and were moving. Some of the thousands of items were being sold, rather than moved. This duce is straight ex- military, most recently from the ONG. It's been licensed but hadn't been really used in 3 years. Has the whistler turbo. Well, after doing the research I just couldn't pass it up. It runs well, doesn't look abused ( I hope!) no leaks, new batterys, been started weekly, and just has 13K for mileage. Managed to get it to a truck shop ( Minus good brakes!) where it's being serviced and having the cab heater installed. Good or bad, it's mine now! Have many other trucks for the business, but nothing this big! It won't be used all the time, but I could see a need where we wouldn't always have to call in a big rig to move some of the accident aircraft we recover. Needs new seats which I got, but other than that, it looked and sounded, and ran good! Honestly, the engine compartment was clean, other than paint peeling from age. What do you fellas think, you all got more experience with these than I right now. Served in the Navy back in the 70's. Haven't driven one since. Will post a pic when I figure out how to do that!M35A2 Pics 004.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let the shop know it uses DOT 5 silicone brake fluid.

Do not mix others in it.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good. Next thing (after getting the brakes working) is to get one of the Utz Pub Mix plastic jars, eat the contents, throw away the lid, and use the empty over the top of the stack to keep water out of the J pipe when it's not running. www.utzsnacks.com for a retailer near you.

SignalNco

Nice looking rig. I am a recent "plunger" myself so welcome to the addiction. Hey Mike, I really like the idea of using the empty UTZ container. I will have to pick up one and me and my boy's will empty it for New Years. My youngest was very thoughtful. The day after I brought my Deuce home I had to go to work but when I got home I was surprised to find that he had wrapped some empty Wally World bags around the stack and taped them in place. Very good lad!!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

Make sure you download the free technical manuals in the Tech Manual section. The shop working on the truck will find that they come in handy.

michael757767

Well, they got rid of one tank (M-48) I think it was, and several M35A2's.......This one had been listed for sale and was the best of the lot. It was the only one with the whistler on it, and I think they had planned on keeping it but decided to sell. I only got a good deal because a good friend of mine who works with me on aircraft recoverys, also works for the museum. He moves heavy iron, jets, tanks, etc.......He told me he knew it'd be going to a good home, that's why he told the owner to offer it..........The museum is Premier Jets out of Hillsboro Oregon. They have a web site I believe, don't know whats on it. I am hearing though that they have found a new home and hanger, as their aircraft are all vintage jets, and all are in flying shape. The owner is a military collector and last I heard had one 2.5 ton left, but weather its for sale now I don't know as they are gearing up to fill their new space with items.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a heads up. It is possible that the previous owner might have converted over to DOT3,
although very unlikely. Just be sure to check. Mixing the DOT3 and DOT5 will cause major
problems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks