• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ok, I'll say it, the deuce is not that "awesome" o

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope. The air shift is the method of engaging all wheel drive. Truck will not have lockers.

czechsix

6x6Lee said:
Ok, I have enough guts to post this, The 6x6 2.5 or 5 ton is not that great in real offroad situations! I have owned a m54 and I own right now a m35. I got my m54 stuck in a really sad creek bank. With 20 people in the back they could not beileve I got stuck! To say the least I was pissed! I could not tell you how many ex marines or army have told me, " that truck will take you any where you want to go!" Before you jump to conclusions, about me or my driving style, I must say I love my deuce and will NEVER sell or side with it! I have been building mud bogging trucks rock climbers and jeeps for some time now and I know how to drive and approach off road situations. Here is what I don't like about my m35 or the m54(sold).
1. No lockers (why?!?!?!)
2. No wheel speed
3. Mobility/weight
Do you always believe everything everyone tells you?

Hell, there' isn't a vehicle made that I can't get stuck, and I know that.

Then again, pardon me....I just whacked my thumb with a ball peen hammer while working on a M105A2 landing gear today and I'm kinda grouchy. I'd load up on more ibuprofen but my liver would probably die.....man, this sucker throbs.

Then again, I don't know how often I've been told everything from "Those M16's suck" to "Those M16's are the greatest weapon ever made" to" That Unimog was made by AM General" (that was a personal favorite of mine, and still is). All of which have been said to me by veterans, or active duty.

Damn, this thumb hurts. Wonder if the nail is gonna come off....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny Greg but sorry about the thumb. You brought up something funny. When I went to register the tractor, The lady couldn't find AM General in her lovely computer. She asked if I was sure that there was a brand AM General. I told her yes, the maker of the original HMMWV and the current H1 Hummer. She argued the point that all HMMMWVs and H1s were built by Chevrolet. She was like talking to a small soap dish so I gave up. She summoned her manager for help and she popped AM General right up than told her that they make the HMMWVs. I snickered!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have stuck my deuce, but only because I tried to. Put it in sloppy mud with no bottom, and at 14,000 lbs you will sink. I was impressed with where this truck will go. Played at haspin acres last year and if the mud had a bottom to it, the truck would go. Climbs over some big stuff also. The bumper makes a nice bulldozer in ditches :lol: Just to see such a large vehicle off road is cool.
Dennis

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a truck that was meant to carry #10,000 of bullets across russia it ain't too bad. I've had mine stuck more times than i can count. But there is allways a hole bigger than your truck. Compared to a jeep or a blazer it's not a mud machine. It's like throwing a #13,000 rock into a pond. But it will climb a steep hill. Although i've high centered the tool and battery boxes a few times. And you haven't lived untill you've done a donut in one of these things.

mangus580

ken said:
And you haven't lived untill you've done a donut in one of these things.
:ditto:

While I am sure you all know.... I have had mine stuck! But to be honest, I suspect my 1009 would have gotten stuck in the same exact spot :) I have had the deuce in a spot where I doubt I could have gotten my old pickup... with 3 times the firewood on the back than my pickup could have EVER had on it. I have pushed snow drifts with my front bumper, while empty, drove out in a field with 3 feet of snow... sat in a muddy soft spot in the field (covered with snow) loaded up with wood and drove out. I think the deuce does EXACTLY what it was designed for...

Sure wish I had pics of some of the spots I went and DIDNT get stuck.... rofl

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to modify my previous post, because I once did get stuck driving into soft blue clay (old septic field). The thing is, I didn't need any outside help getting out. It took me an hour or so, but with the hydraulic outriggers, I was able to lift the vehicle and pile rocks, wood and whatever under the wheels and drive out again.
The clay was over 2 feet deep and it took a lot of rocks and wood chunks to get the outriggers to reach solid ground before they actually lifted the truck.
Sorry, no pictures, it was a long time ago.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks