• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OK it's time... Complete brake job, vents and hub flip for singles

scootertrs

OK it's time... Deuce Fire Truck gets Complete brake job, vents and hub flip for singles and re-venting air pack, master cylinder, fuel tank and transfer case.

The brake job will include replacing master cylinder, air pack, vents, all hoses, wheel cylinders and brake shoes (as needed).

The Hub Flip will include bearings and seals (as needed)

The questions I have are the following:

Even though I have reviewed thoroughly all posts having to do with these issues, does any member have any ideas, suggestions, or additional things that should be done while it is diasassembled?

I will try to take pictures and maybe videos of the process. Any specific part of the job that specially peaks the interest of members? I would try to accomodate special requests for pics and videos as long as my not-so-flexible 58 year old frame (aka bones) allow for it.

Any hints towards the actual work or the picture/video taking will be considered and greatly appreciated.

I have not started yet, so sky is the limit.

Thanks

Raul

Last edited:

Crazyguyla

replace rubber brake lines, if you haven't already. While you have a wheel cylinder off, check the steel lines for rust buildup (ask how i know). Might want to check to see if your brake shoes have the old or new style hold down. Fresh brake fluid if you're running DOT 3.

scootertrs

new hoses coming. Air pack rebuild issues... going to look for the posts. I have been told that they can be a real pita to rebuild. supposed to test before install? Master cylinder reservoir kit... gotta find those posts... read one a while back where the reservoir goes in the cab... safety wire... will have on hand... keep em coming

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you read the Tech Manual about the "major" brake adjustment since you will be removing the shoes.

The m/c remote resevoir can go in the cab or under the hood. Incab allows you to look at it whenever you enter/exit the cab.

Sounds like you have just about everything covered

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the good advice - I'm looking at a similar project in the near future simply for the safety and confidence factor - - - and to reduce the pucker factor I currently have (although I have no REAL reason to doubt the prior service to my deuce). :driver:

Bighurt

Anybody make a kit...

My M35 needs a brake job among other things. I'd like to start working one at a time around the truck when the weather gets good.

While I have the wheels off I might as well do everything in there, I have the TM so I can do the job. It's getting all the replacement parts that will be hard.

Does anybody sell a master rebuild kit. Just like the OP I'd like everything done at once. Pads, hardware, cylinders, seals, lines etc. I'd prefer to have the parts and not need them then to need the parts and not have them.

Also is better to work one axle at a time or just keep moving to the next set?

I'm not planning to flip my hubs.

DieselBob

My M35 needs a brake job among other things. I'd like to start working one at a time around the truck when the weather gets good.

While I have the wheels off I might as well do everything in there, I have the TM so I can do the job. It's getting all the replacement parts that will be hard.
I purchased everything from a combination of vendors and members on ss.

Also is better to work one axle at a time or just keep moving to the next set?
I did the work an axle at a time. Really doesn't make much difference but I found it made more sense to put a axle on cribbing and do both ends then move to the next axle. 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks