• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ok what the heck did I break

yolner

The hunting idle before it conked out is a symptom of air in the system... So you probably just bled the air out and it was good to go.

Glad it's running again... [thumbzup]

Jon
Youre probably right. I'll be installing a bleed valve on the spin on base so I don't have to drop the hose to bleed it every time.

westfolk

You don't have to unhook the hose each time to bleed it. That was just a way to verify you had good fuel through the system.

yolner

Argh spoke too soon. When I first start it up it seems to idle ok, but after a few minutes the idle starts to fluctuate again. Also when I give it some gas and then let off the idle drops and about 80% of the time it stalls out.

Does this sound like an air leak? I checked the lines from the tank and I don't see anything obvious.

yolner

Anyone got any suggestions on this? I'm kind of out of ideas short of replacing all the lines from the tank to the pump. Is there anything other than an air leak I should investigate?

bigmech

I would open the top of the fuel tank( pull the pump) drian the tank and use a bright small beam light and look into the tank. My tank had a small piece of silicon/gasket material that kept plugging up the pump, in fact there were several jello type substance type balls of crap that were on the bottom of the tank. I used a shop vacuum and a long hoe to clean out the tank. This may not be your problem but my acted the same. I had another truck that the pump ran in the tank but produced low fuel volumes and low pressure. I put a electric pump in line farther up the fuel line and it cured a simular problem

Josh

Argh spoke too soon. When I first start it up it seems to idle ok, but after a few minutes the idle starts to fluctuate again. Also when I give it some gas and then let off the idle drops and about 80% of the time it stalls out.

Does this sound like an air leak? I checked the lines from the tank and I don't see anything obvious.

My truck did the exact same thing, Changed the fuel filters and it went away. Dont know how old the filters are, but it might be worth it to try out.2cents

Ps I still got stock canisters.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Is your truck driven much? When I built my drop side truck, it hunted a little at idle. After some time on the road, that went away. I have seen in some other threads that revving the motor and it dieing are issues with the govenor in the IP.

dave wagner

don't pull out an injector see if it's spraying. loosen the fuel line at the top of the injectors one turn is plenty then crank until air is out before retightening. also when you start it up hold the throttle to the floor until it fires[don't let it start with throttle to the floor just until it fires]

yolner

Problem solved for real this time. I found and fixed a small leak on my primary filter base and replaced both filters again. Now it seems to idle well, but I still have some issues with it wanting to stall after you let off the throttle. It would almost stall until I turned the idle up to just over 1k rpm. After I did that it returns to idle and doesn't bog.

Can I leave the idle at 1k or is that a sign of something else I need to fix? I know the normal idle is supposed to be 850.

yolner

The part about the governor? Saw that, but I can't find a thread that talks about how to get at it and/or repair it. Been meaning to do more searching this week.

treeguy

FYI, when trouble shooting, do one thing/one adjustment/one change then try to start her up. If she won't do one more chance/ adjustment and then try to start again. And on and on and on. The point is if your truck is dead and you fiddle around with fifteen different things, you won't know what exactly did it unless it is obvious. This is the procedure I learned when I was a boat mechanic and is a straight forward way to identify a problem.

As for the idle problem the OP is having, I would also check the in tank pump. Not just the pump but the line in the tank that goes from the pump up. If that line is split (inside the tank) you may not get full fuel flow and an induction of air, esp. when the tank level is below the split. I had the same problem with a boat that had a solid metal tube that went from the top of the tank down to pick up at the bottom. The metal tube broke off at the top of the tank inside of it. The boat would only run when the tank was full but when it got below the tubes supposed location the engine would sputter and die. This problem took a while to find, (not very common, who would have thought).

Anyway good luck, I'm interested to see what you have going on.