• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oklahoma City Metro Deuce hydraulic head Assistance Needed

thelazyw

Anyone know who could work on a deuce hydraulic head east of OKC? I had the injector pump rebuilt but put it in and am getting fuel in the oil now. I am just not a good mechanic. Period....... Took the cutoff cover off and fuel is leaking with the in tank pump turned on so I am assuming it is the HH seals but not sure where those are or how to fix.

We have a charity event coming up and would really like to get it running and on the road again!

Last edited:

thelazyw

Place that rebuilt the head gave me the seals. Brought home, put on, no more leak through shut off area. Now it won't start though.... I cannot imagine what it is now. Changed oil and filters, turned over but won't start.

thelazyw

Pulled head to ensure marks were lined up and that is all good. Turns over, smoke comes out, not start..... Any other ideas? Was running before, just shot all the fuel into the block. News seals on HH stopped leak. Now what? I am so lost...

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Firsty thing I would do is get a big bat and demand my money back for the rebuild. They can not rebuild a bad head they need to go back to Ambac. The most they did was replace some gaskets and O rings and did they even use Viton O rings. Maybe they spun it up and maybe your fulcrum are was broken but since 2006 I have only seen two IP with that problem. Second is your FDC bypassed? That needs to be done. Then you can move on to Vitron O rings and checking the boost pump seals.

Last edited:

thelazyw

Took the head back out to make sure button was on and it is. Before removing, I opened the injectors and broke the return on #6 and no fuel. The cutoff lever is free and returning to the 7 o clock position. Any other ideas?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure the pin at the end of the shutoff rod is engaging the groove inside the head. The first time I did one it took multiple attempts to get it right.

Last edited:

thelazyw

Does this button look right???

This is the button Delco Diesel put on my HH when they rebuilt it. Just noticing it looks different from pictures others are posting....hh buttonv.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you removed the fuel control rod there should be a small tab at the end of the rod. It called the plunger sleeve pin. When installed it will sit in the groove of the fuel plunger sleeve.

Here are some diagrams and where the parts are located.

If the pin is not in the groove, then the truck will not start or it will run a full throttle.

Fuel Rod.jpghh buttonv2.jpgHydrolic Head 1.gif

thelazyw

Ok, I know that part and I see the concept. I am just not sure how to tell it got in the right spot. I have put it all back together and tried moving the fuel rod around in a few different ways but no luck. I am going to step away... again... and try again later. I am so over this/......

thelazyw

Okay, took it out again. Quadruple checked everything. Put back in. Nothing. Started with ether. Ran (louder than normal) but died when ether ran out. Took bolt out of center of head and it did not move a stick. Is this a result of a bad head rebuild?

Facts: Fuel to the head is good.
Button was on the shaft, see picture above.
Will start on ether then dies. Ran for a few times to see if was air in the line.
Center bolt out on HH and it did not go up and down.

welldigger

If the plunger isn't going up and down then it isn't going to pop the injectors. The plunger in the hh is what builds the pressure to pop the injectors to spray fuel in the cylinders.

so either there is still a problem with the hh or there is a problem in the pump body.

thelazyw

I avoided it like the plague, was a last ditch effort to see if it would even fire up. I am guessing it was a bad rebuild then. Will call the shop monday that did it and see what they think. Thanks welldigger. I am going to look around for a used HH.