• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old Antenna Mount

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone recognize this antenna mount (see photos)? I've had it for a loooooong time. There was a homemade mount for it to fit the knock-out holes on the bed of my M-37, but I doubt it is a stock .mil application. I seem to remember something about it being an armor mount. It takes the MS-53 through MS-49 series of antenna masts.

Any information would be helpful. I think it is "unecessary to my current requirements", but I'd like to know what it is to be sure.

Thanks,

Storm 51

Attachments

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The whip sections strongly resemble the MS-50/MS-51/MS52 series sections used in WWII radio equipment. I found some references on the interweb to the sections but nothing on the base. Fair Radio has some sections, quoting their catalog: "WW-2 & Korean War-vintage: painted copper-coated steel. Sequentially screw into the other; 3/16" dia MS-49 top section the smallest. Self-supports to 15 ft; MS-53 can fit into another MS-53".

Do your sections have numbers on them?

Another reference from an auction place said: "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Geneva]6 antenna sections were used with many WWII radios including SCR-178, SCR-284, SCR-506, SCR-608, etc.[/FONT][/FONT]", in reference to these antennae.

If you chase down info on those radio series you might find the base referenced. Maybe that helps.

Bob WB4ETT

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, Bob!

The mast sections are MS-49, -50, -51 & -52

I'll try finding information on those radios.

Storm 51

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
holy smokes this topic is getting around... I also posted the Facebook image (which i posted originally for Dixie Division..) on some radio interest groups... ill cross post to here when i get more info...

Last edited: