• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old Cab Soft Top

maxxplanck

Hey guys I have an old solid green vinyl soft top from one of my deuces. I have a new one on the way. My problem is my old one is still kinda good except were the the vinyl meets the hard plastic strip. The stiching and glue came undone, but the top is good. I washed it up really good and was wondering if I could fix it ( to keep as a back up, hate to throw it out ). I thought about restiching it but that sounds like to much work but what about a good glue and just reglue it ? Will that hold up or am I wasting my time ? Thanks Guys

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.......I thought about restiching it but that sounds like to much work but what about a good glue and just reglue it ? Will that hold up or am I wasting my time ? Thanks Guys
A good industrial PU adhesive will probably do the job but stiching it after glued back in place would be good extra insurance, IMHO...

Below, what I did with mine...

G.

Attachments

APM215

When I first got my truck the roof had a huge rip in it that the seller stapled back together for me so I could make the trip home. I didn’t have the cash to replace it right away so I took it to a place that does sewing on industrial truck tarps and tents. The guy was an old Nam vet and remembered the trucks and had some good stories to tell. He did the repair and put a new back window in for me for around $60. Nice guy and I’ve gone back to have other things repaired by him.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While this has been covered before, I used pop rivets spaced about 1.5 to 2 inches apart. Pliobond is what others said in that thread for a glue. BTW, I had to come up with a substitute for the hard plastic strip, since mine was gone. Used a piece of vinyl siding, cut to length and trimmed. YMMV

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rich, I used JB Weld on mine. Has help up without issues for two years or so.

cjcottrill

I took a piece of plastic plumbers strap, drilled every third hole, used 1/8" pop rivits with back-up washers. After installation I painted it OD. Look good, works good, slides in and out easy for topless driving, been about two years. Total cost was less than $5.00.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks