• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old Deuce, New owner, Canby Oregon

jp-234

First off, I just want to say what a great site and I along with the other new folks appreciate the wealth of information that is available here.
I have been a member since March, that’s when I picked up my M35A2 in Calif, near L.A. You know how the story goes, starts good, runs good, stops good, must be good! LOL
I flew out of Portland on a Tuesday with 3 day’s worth of clothes, my debt card and $500 cash Who needs tools, right?
I made it out to the truck location around 1 or 2 in the afternoon and gave David the rest of the money for the truck. I got on the road around 3 pm heading for the Grapevine; fat, dumb and happy! I got up to blistering 45 mph I started getting water drops on the window. I’m thinking there’s not a cloud in the sky hmmm, that’s about the time I see coolant running over the left front fender and flying all over the windshield. I pulled over at the next exit which is the first exit after getting on the freeway. I’m thinking what kind of fool picks up a truck he’s never seen and plans on driving a thousand miles? I had to raise my hand at this point and confess. I called the guy I bought it from and he said drive it back. So I let it cool down for a bit and drove it back. We changed out the thermostat and took it for a short test drive all looks good at this point and off I go heading towards home again. Still Happy, Still Smiling.
Second attempt at heading north got me past where it over heated the first time plus about 10 miles but I had a mechanic with a service truck from where I purchased the truck who was following me because he lived in the same direction. We pulled over and removed the thermostat and topped it off with water and I went on my way. I made it part way up the grapevine and it started over heating again, I’m thinking this is really going to be a long trip. I finally made it near the top of the grapevine and said screw it, got me a motel . Next morning I made it down the other side and as soon as I got on the flats and poured on the coal it overheated again. Ok were not talking miles per gallon more like miles per overheating and I’m not doing very well. Good news! David calls me while I’m letting it cool down and asked how’s it going, my answer was I have had better days, and he says bring it back we’ll change out the radiator, not an offer I want to refuse. Now I’m only about 70 miles north and it takes me 4 hours to get back 45 min to change out the radiator and I’m on my way again. I drove until about 1:30 in the morning before I called it a day.
Things were looking up until I hit a snow blizzard north of Redding. Did I mention there is no heater in this truck? I had 3 inches of snow packed against the passenger window and I was keeping my window somewhat clear using my hands to warm the window up enough that the windshield wipers could wipe away the snow. It was tunnel vision, but, hey I’m having fun!!!
Next day I drove over the Siskiyou summit in 6 wheel drive while everyone else was putting their chains on. The rest of the trip was uneventful but I hated to stop at my house-- just wanted to keep on going… l

Would I do it again? In a heart beat!!

Attachments

ZackRidesRed

Welcome to the site!

Congratulations on the deuce.

And

Its to late to run, you will never be able to stop buying OD iron! welcome to our sickness

jp-234

Thanks guys and yes the addiction is in full tilt here, one minor problem I don't have enough room for another truck but I think I can fit an m105 next to the garage. your right I did get the truck from david he was a great guy to deal with.

hwcurtice

Rag time.

Member since March, when you picked it up and you're just now posting this?

So, what have you been doing since then?

oh,and tell us more about David's lot too!

And more pictures. 3 months is a long time.....

jp-234

WSUCOUGARX- thanks for the invite, and yes I would like to make it up I'm going out of town should be back friday. I have seen a picture of Arrons place but no map or detailed directions.

hwcurtice- I knew I would get hammered for waiting so long but I have been reading all the threads and searching for parts, anyways they say it's never to late. So here I am.

I have some pics of davids compound I'll try to post them.

wsucougarx

Outstanding! Got you down on the roster as an attendee. I have Aaron's address. Just PM me and I'll send it to you. There are several guys coming up from the Portland area. If you go and look at the 2nd post you can see where they're coming from. Good idea to PM them to see what the plan is.

Last edited:

Kaiserjeeps

Hey welcome! 503m715 is very close to you. Don't miss the campout slash convoy up at Aaron's. It is a serious hoot!

I hope to make it also. I just finally got an offer on my house. I took it and am trying to see it through. I will see later this week.

I drove a 68 M715 from Tucson to PDX here a few years back. Your post brought back some great memories!

Again, welcome.

jp-234

Ok here are a few pics of Davids compound, he only had 2 mechanics working for him while I was there but he has alot of equipment and trucks he has modified to look like modern warfare vehicles. Like I said in my first post he was great to deal with and installed the new radiator at no cost.

Attachments

Riber

Hi jp-234 about ready to do the same thing , driving down to barstow to pu a m923a2 and drive back, probably should have my head examined but just going to go for it but have tools and a chase vehicle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks